can you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisher2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
stretch a 7mm wetsuit im not talking a huge amount just the foot holes maybe 2" larger then they are stock?

I was just reading that someone did this. I think they just put an object. Like a drinking glass or something in there for a while. something that is a little larger than the size you want it to end up. He said it seemed to work ok, but had only had it on one dive.

Apparently, it's been done and commented on by folks in this and other sports that use neoprene. But wouldn't you suspect it might depend on the quality of the neoprene. For instance, common wetsuit material might hold the larger shape. But what of highly elastic (and more expensive) material that's intended to stretch a lot and return? You can only try. Maybe graduated soft drink bottles.

Agree with Dennis . . .

The problem with stretching the suit is that if you do get it to work now, what will it be like in six months? A year? Some people say their suits shrink over time (yeah, right! :wink: ), but I've found mine get looser as the material ages. (Pinnacle)

I cut mine off about six inches.

I'm also with Dennis. I'd have zippers installed. I have a 5mm that I'm planning on doing that with soon. Easier then stretching it. Makes it way nicer to get into.

If the suit's not tight enough to cut off blood circulation I'd say you're just not used to how the suit feels on you. I can't imagine you're ankles are that big. :wink:

But to answer your question it depends on the suit. If it isn't hyperstretch neoprene or any special type of "stretchy" neoprene, you can probably stretch it. My 7mm has gotten loose over time the more I dive with it.

I would suggest sticking candles in the foot holes (sticking glassware worries me)
Try soaking the legs in warm water and then stretch it yourself. Wait for it to cool then stick the candles in (you don't want to clean melted wax off your suit).
Only stretch it a little with the candles. A very small change in circumference should be enough.
See how that works out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom