Cancun December 12-21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The_Grrrrr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be staying in Cancun from Dec. 12-21, staying at the JW Marriott and will not be renting a car. I am looking to dive most of the days I am there. I haven't chosen a dive operation yet but I am looking to do a variety of dives including Cenotes, Wrecks, Cozumel Wall, Bullshark etc. I've been reaching out to a bunch of dive operators but there seems to be a wide range of prices, offerings and reviews. I usually like to go with a single operation for all of my dives when I travel, but I am beginning to think maybe I should go with different operations based on the types of dives I am doing. I am especially concerned with the Cozumel dives (Should I just go with a Cozumel based Op?), the Cenotes (Private guide or an Op that specializes in Cenotes), and the Bullshark (Responsible practices). Am I overthinking this? Can anyone provide some guidance?

Thanks in advance.

Why not stay in Playa del Carmen? You have a better selection of dive shops, closer to Cenotes and close to the ferry that will take you to Cozumel. Otherwise, why not stay and Cozumel and ride the ferry over to the mainland when you want to do cenotes?

There's a reason why Cancun isn't a traditional dive location! I can't recommend Cancun as being a good location for a 10 day dive trip when Cozumel is so close!

The trip was primarily planned with a Marriott hotel due to discounts and my elite status that I need a few more nights to retain for next year. In theory, I could get the 4 nights I need at the Marriott then move to Cozumel. This being my first trip down there, I didn't realize there was such a big difference in dive quality. I guess I'll have to check on hotel options in and around Cozumel. Any recommendations?

The trip was primarily planned with a Marriott hotel due to discounts and my elite status that I need a few more nights to retain for next year. In theory, I could get the 4 nights I need at the Marriott then move to Cozumel. This being my first trip down there, I didn't realize there was such a big difference in dive quality. I guess I'll have to check on hotel options in and around Cozumel. Any recommendations?
Yes, it will be good option if you can minimize your stay in Cancun and move to Cozumel.
I did this mistake (stay in Cancun) few years ago and will not do it again any more.
Near Cancun mostly nothing to see, except one dine to visit underwater museum.
All other dives will be just "breathing in the water" using scuba gear.
So I think it is really doesn't matter which operator will you choose in Cancun.
If you must to stay in Cancun 4 days, spend one, maximum two, for diving and other two for drinking and night life, which is much more in Cancun than in Cozumel :)
In Cozumel I use "deepexposuredivecenter.com".
Not sure if they the less expensive one, but organized, friendly, answer to the mails and have pretty big well equipped dive boat.
I will be Dec 20 in Cozumel and will dive with this dive shop Dec. 21-27

Have fun in Cancun. We have dove fairly extensively (multiple trips, multiple dives at each of the sites) in both Cancun and Cozumel. Anyone who says you won't find good diving in Cancun is, frankly, off their nut. The reefs are flatter than the deep walls off Cozumel, but very comparable to the structures in the same depth range. The sea life is abundant and varied, and (not really a suprise...) covers pretty much exactly the same varieties as Cozumel.
When we're in Cancun, we always go spend an evening at Coco Bongo. Great fun.
And we always dive with Alvaro from Always Diving. He's a greaat guy and you'll always have great dives. Reefs, wrecks, cenotes and Bullsharks. We've done them all from Cancun and never had a bad dive.

I would do both. Typically I land in CUN and do the bag drag to Coz. Spend 3 or 4 nights in Coz (try to get in at least 3 days of dives). Take the 7 a.m. ferry across and you can do your Cenote and Bull Shark in 1 day if you want (Scorpio Divers has this package). Either spend that night in PDC or head directly to Cancun afterwards for your hotel points (if you did the Scorpio package they would probably transport you to your Cancun hotel). Cancun is fun, the museum is an interesting dive, and the reefs are shallow but often have more fish than Coz. 1 or 2 days of diving in Cancun is enough. Do your Cancun days last because it is much easier to get to the airport from there. That should pretty much fill 6 days.

Back
Top Bottom