cancun diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is diving on the entire coast for the mexican riviera, from cancun all the way south past tulum.

The diving is all very similar with a few exceptions, some wrecks around the cancun area, tortugas dive site by playa, a bull shark dive site near playa (only in the winter). Other than that, lots of shallow reefs very similar, with the greatest concentration of dive sites being in the cancun area

Akumal is certainly better done as a snorkel rather than a dive.

Isla mujeres and cancun share many dive sites since they are so close to each other.

Cozumel being ranked 2nd best diving in the world? Not unless all the dive destinations in the indo pacific and such are removed from the planet. If the ranking is just the caribbean then cozumel will be in the top 10, if it's ranking based on the entire planet, it's in the top 100 and certainly toward the bottom of the list.

There is no shore diving that I know of in Cancun.

Thanks for the info.. I guess "best in world" is very subjective and maybe those who told me Cozumel is #2 worldwide, bucket list, etc...were selling packages. No harm no foul. When you say shore diving, do you mean shore entry or diving along the coastal areas of Cancun, or Yucatan? For having no shore diving, there were many dozens of dive operations up and down the coast. According to most of the tourists I ran into in the area that were divers/snorkelers (large percentage of tourists had dive T shirts from various destinations... the tour buses were full of them) the best place in the Yucatan was Cozumel...but there were some in the Akumal areas that said there were wonderful dives from Cancun all the way down to Belize. They also said that the reef that runs north/south in this area is one of the largest reefs worldwide too.. I appreciate all the input here though and I want to share information so that I can be corrected or set straight as to the best dive destinations.

I could see from the airplane many many miles of turquoise water that would be great to check out. As I said above, it would be great to see some of the areas off the beaten pathways.

Steve

When you say shore diving, do you mean shore entry or diving along the coastal areas of Cancun, or Yucatan? For having no shore diving, there were many dozens of dive operations up and down the coast. According to most of the tourists
Steve

There is no shore diving in the Cancun area that I know of. Shore diving - defined as : diving without a boat. There may be shore diving south of Cancun or even in Cancun that I just don't know about, but I've never seen it or heard of it. There are dozens of dive sites in Cancun, but all accessible via boat diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom