Cancun opening in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any other imaginary dates available besides June 31st?

I was going to suggest July 32nd, but to be honest, that seems optimistic. After reading this New York Times article -- Hidden Toll: Mexico Ignores Wave of Coronavirus Deaths in Capital (summary: it appears that COVID deaths in Mexico City are actually at least 3X what the officials numbers say; I've seen other estimates putting actual numbers at 5X the official count) -- September 31st looks like a better guess.

In sympathy to all Mexicans and those who love Mexico, it's not just you: the same falsification of numbers for political purposes is taking place in the USA and in many other countries - so not singling out Mexico for criticism. There's plenty of this manipulation of statistics going around. But please listen to Christie: as much as you may want to go have some fun, people around the world are dealing with deaths and tragedies, and you showing up to party and blow bubbles as soon as you can get on a plane puts those folks at risk. Be a responsible adult and cool your jets until the risks have diminished.

Personally, I'm not planning to travel anywhere for at least another year, possibly two, until the virus is no longer a major worry - not a worry for me as a visitor, and not a worry for the locals where I might carry and spread it. Once there's an effective vaccine widely available, then I'll be heading back to Cozumel, spending money like a drunken sailor to the extent that I can. I'll miss diving for a while, but I'll survive.

Once there's an effective vaccine widely available...
Vaccines against smallpox and polio were very effective while those against influenza, not so much. We must temper our expectations with reality.

The travel restrictions between the US and Mexico have been extended to June 22. This covers LAND ports of entry to essential travel but it does make the early opening of tourist destinations doubtful.
https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/20_0519_as1_frn_us-mexico-border.pdf

There's always been this big thing made about that travel ban - read it - it has zero effect on air travel to Mexico by US citizens. There is no travel ban that Mexico has put in effect. You can fly from anywhere in the world into Mexico City. Air travel in Mexico has not been limited. Travel on land between cities and states in some parts of the country has been limited, small towns have built barricades, there are police check points, etc....

The ban was for land travel - thousands of Mexican citizens cross the border in towns such as Laredo to shop or work in the US. The ban limits non US citizens from crossing into the US unless you are a legal essential worker (farming).

This ban only would have bearing on US tourist desinations - South Padre Island for instance.

US citizens have always been allowed to fly into Cozumel and back home - and no, you didn't need to be a resident here - they are issuing tourist visas.

In Mexico - the Federal Government has passed advice down to the State level about when/how to reopen the economy - meaning local business and tourism. The Federal Government has made it clear that it is advice only, the states will face no penalties if they do their own thing. The local government, State of Q Roo (I heard they are working in unison with the Pacific coast areas too) has determined that we are closed to tourism, we will not reopen until sometime after June 1st, could be late June, could be August - they haven't said what magically needs to happen.

The Federal government has a map of Mexico and states are color coded according to the extent of their problems - Red, Orange, Yellow and Green. The Federal government was hoping that all states could transition to green by August September. I forget the exact wording but when in red, it's essential stuff only; Orange allowed a small amount of local business, Yellow added more local business and finally green allowed tourism and schools. Mexico City was black on one map I seen but Q Roo and the Pacific coast are red..... The number of active cases here in Q Roo has remained relatively consistent for the last three weeks, there is no decrease but it's also no spiraling out of control.

Tourism here in Q Roo, when will it open will depend on the state government here and virtually nothing else. What some tourism group says, whether you can book rooms, whether you can book flights or dives - that means nothing. The government is very aware of the economic stress but they are also aware of the lack of healthcare facilities - I don't know if I'd want to be the one making the decision but it will be Carlos Jaoquin that says when we are open for business, no one else.

Tourism here in Q Roo, when will it open will depend on the state government here and virtually nothing else. What some tourism group says, whether you can book rooms, whether you can book flights or dives - that means nothing. The government is very aware of the economic stress but they are also aware of the lack of healthcare facilities - I don't know if I'd want to be the one making the decision but it will be Carlos Jaoquin that says when we are open for business, no one else.
Carlos Joaquin last night:

For Quintana Roo tourism is an essential activity and we will fight for it to be recognized, reactivate it gradually and recover our economy. If so, we would receive the first tourists between June 8 and 10 with strict health protocols, prioritizing health care. #TogetherWe'll Go Forward See Less

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=930891957377201

I seen that, curious of The Who’s how’s and what’s - if we truly open, we should have never closed

Don’t wanna be the Debbie downer but translations suck - could would might will - I’d like to hear the details

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom