Cancun recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m3830431

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife does not dive and she picked the place. For me first time in saltwater and water warmer than 70 degrees. I sure I'll make the best of it.

Anyway can someone recommend a LDS charter that is good or ones to avoid.

Thanks in advance. :D

Hi,

I dove Cancun once on one two-tank dive. I was pleasantly surprised.

I cannot say anything fantabulously good or terribly bad about the dive shop I chose. I would definately dive with them again for the right price. For the sake of putting you in touch with a shop, try Manta. In all fairness, I have to say that it was a good experience and met my expectations when I dove with them. I would suggest searching for their contact information on the net and e-mailing them. Ask them what sites they can take you to and what kind of deals they can provide.

I also highly recommend that you search the net for other dive shops in Cancun for the sake of competition and getting the best price for your diving. If worst comes to worst, you can wait until you get down to cancun and ask about dive packages as a walk-in, but you may be at a disadvantage in terms of leveraging the best deal and flexibility in diving sites that may be of particular interest to you.

I was pleasantly surprised at the two reefs I dove in Cancun, and there may have a wreck off of Cancun that you can dive. I dove one November, and was pleasantly comfortable without a wetsuit and down to 60 ft depth.

Anyway, I hope you have a great experience, which you will. Don't be bashful about taking a bus ride to Playa Del Carmen for some shopping with the wifey or the ferry from Play Del Carmen over to Cozumel for some diving. While you dive, your wife can shop....How fun!!!!

:D

Thanks I have looked at the local shop websites and all seem about the same price. Just wanted some in on which maybe better. Manta has come up before :D :butnhome:

m3830431:
What hasn't anyone visited Cancun? :D
I'm sure several people have been to Cancun and gone diving. You might have better luck finding information in the Mexico section, if you haven't already checked there.

M38,
I stayed in Mexico for a couple weeks about ten years ago. Dove a couple reefs in Cancun, then I discovered Cozumel. I ended up taking a bus ride to Playa Del Carmen and taking the ferry across to Cozumel three more times. The diving is MUCH better in Cozumel IMO. So if you're not already locked into Cancun, consider Cozumel. Same type of nightlife, restaurants and stuff, just more compact. And that's another thing to consider if you're on a budget. I seemed to spend a lot more money on taxi fares in Cancun than I did in Coz.
One of the things I remember most about Cozumel was jumping off of the boat and being able to see the reef NINETY ft below me, and looking over the edge of the shelf. AWESOME! Crystal clear. It was my very first drift dive, and I loved every bubble of it.

fishoutawater:
M38,
I stayed in Mexico for a couple weeks about ten years ago. Dove a couple reefs in Cancun, then I discovered Cozumel.

Thanks As my original post stated. My wife does not dive and she picked the location. Just glad that the water is warmer than 32 degrees. :D

i dove with Aqua World. They were safe and efficient. Just get there 15 minutes before the boat leaves. They do 4 days of 2 tank dives for 220$, with one of them being wreck and one of them being night. If youre not into doing night diving you can switch the night dive to a morning dive. I reccomend seeing the wreck though, i dont know what it was called but its the only wreck the shop offers. Max Depth around 85 feet. Have fun on your trip!!!

You'll have fun! I don't know if they still do this, but we were warned before we went not to get into any vans offering to take you for "free breakfast". They take you for breakfast alright, but they also try to keep you all day to try to sell you a time share. We stayed at the Fiesta Americana. Nice place, but we had to take a taxi everywhere we went. Buses are available to get you down town though.
Senor Frogs is fun. and a day trip to Chitsa Nitsa is worth the time. Neat Mayan ruins. Climb the pyrimid. Have fun!

fishoutawater:
You'll have fun! I don't know if they still do this, but we were warned before we went not to get into any vans offering to take you for "free breakfast". They take you for breakfast alright, but they also try to keep you all day to try to sell you a time share. We stayed at the Fiesta Americana. Nice place, but we had to take a taxi everywhere we went. Buses are available to get you down town though.
Senor Frogs is fun. and a day trip to Chitsa Nitsa is worth the time. Neat Mayan ruins. Climb the pyrimid. Have fun!

Heard about the free breakfast in Puerto Vallarta. Went anyway. Got a free trip on a booze cruise and 2 liters of tequila was a slow rainy day.

Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom