• Get the new Dive Rite Wreck2 10w HID from my LDS

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Get the 'reconditioned' Halycon Pro6 10w HID from the not so local DS

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Keep building my Frenkenstien canister light to scare the fish away

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost.Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
After planning on making a canister light and deciding that the one I want to build would not be very cost effective, I am entertaining the idea of an early Christmas present. Ive run across a deal on a factory 'reconditioned' Halycon Pro 6 10w HID. It is roughly the same price that I can get a brand new Dive Rite Wreck2 10w HID for. The Halycon is covered by the same warranty as new. The Dive Rite has to be ordered from my LDS (about 5 mins away). The Halycon is about 80 miles away. Given the choice, what would you do and why?

Mine's a Pro 4 HID, seriously bright and solid. A Pro 6 will be even better. Halcyon is the way to go IMHO.

Tom

Wally,

Check out this thread and see what you think about the light I built. I have detailed instructions all written out with pictures included if you're interested. Mine isn't a HID but if you can make the canister you should be able to build the HID light head.

Scott

Canister Light Thread

UP, DR is not the focusable. It is the compact MR11 head; whole light head fits in palm of your hand. Only reflector is the one made with the bulb itself. Pro 6 is focusable.

Padipro, I ordered the book from and proceded to make my light. Got the lighthead already made actually (50w MR16 in a modified MagLight). Canister was the PITA. Didnt really want to go less than 50w and the battery power I need for this would be alot. Not to mention, finding the PVC here locally in the size I wanted is next to impossible. Completing the light the way I want it, I would save about half the cost of the two lights I'm looking at. After all the BS and considering both of these have warranties, I figure I can build a light later just to do it.

TxDeepDiver once bubbled...
UP, DR is not the focusable. It is the compact MR11 head;
My advice would be to get the Pro6 10w HID... without hesitation.

You need the focused beam for signalling... team communication thing. The Pro6 battery is more than we need... shoot the Pro4 is more than we need because we don't do 4hr dives... but if the price is right... jump on it! :D

I have the Pro6, only one dive on it so cannot go too far about. One thing that is great is the goodman handle, I do not understand why all lights do not have them. You can hold the light and not lose much of any use of that hand.

The focus piece is very useful also as UP stated. I have not seen the DR lights so cannot compare, but I have never heard a complaint from a Halcyon light.

Tommy

I would check that the reconditioned Halcyon light cord is the new style and the sealing gland is also the appropriate one for the new cable. If not ask for the new cord etc. (Translated: get the halcyon even if it needs some more "reconditioning").

omar

Eric,

The old cord was a 3-wire with paper wrap inside of the case.
When cut or scored it would leak.
A good example of this is on Dive Rites light page:
http://www.diverite.com/resource/compete/04.htm

The newer Halcyon cord is similar to the Dive Rite one.
Go and look at Halcyon's web site. They still have pictures of the
lights with the old cord. The new Helios lights have the new cord.

omar

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom