Question Canister light lead routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Graeme Fraser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Please excuse another dumb question leading up to my cave course in April, but…

Although experienced in a variety of other diving disciplines, this will be my first foray into official cave, so a few of the equipment considerations are new to me.

I’ve gone ahead and bought a canister light having only previously used either handheld or surface powered helmet mounted lights. Prior to the course I want to become as familiar as I can with any equipment changes.

One thing I don’t quite understand is the rationale behind the routing of the light umbilical. Is there a particular reason it routes in front of, rather than behind the long hose?

Through my ignorance, I just see this as adding an additional step to the S drill and OOG long hose deployment. I know there’s probably a perfectly good reason that I’m just not seeing.

As always, I welcome your input. Please be gentle. Thanks. G

Some agencies dictate cord inside long hose, some outside long hose, some agencies don't specify.

INSIDE PROS: Long hose *might* help keep light cord from dragging, fewer steps when donating
INSIDE CONS: More steps (of that requires two hands) to not trap long hose when temp clipping or permanent stowing the corded light

OUTSIDE PROS: Fewer steps when temp clipping or stowing a corded light, can be done with one hand.
OUTSIDE CONS: More steps when donating (but doesn't restrict immediate access to 5' + of hose), light cord might hang a bit lower when swimming

The agency I teach for (currently) specifies light cord outside long hose -- however, before 2006ish, it was the reverse. I teach in line with my agency, but it's one of those small beans things I don't get worked up about if the diver manages the light cord and long hose appropriately (not trapping/tangling/dragging).

One thing I don’t quite understand is the rationale behind the routing of the light umbilical. Is there a particular reason it routes in front of, rather than behind the long hose?

Yes. If you routed it under the long hose, you'd need to take extra care to make sure you didn't trap the long hose whenever you clipped the light head off on your right shoulder D-Ring. I believe UTD teaches "route the cord under the long hose" but they emphasize making sure you don't trap the long hose when you clip the head off.

Thank you @mer and @kensuf for your clear and concise explanations. See, I knew there would be a good reason behind it and it makes perfect sense now you’ve given the why and wherefore.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom