Canister Light Wiring Repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goat_Tower

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an old Salvo 35w HID can light here. Bought used on ebay. I haven't dove with it yet, but my bathtub checks were sound (produced light, didn't flood). I pulled it out to check it today and the wiring on the battery pack side came loose from the fitting.
IMG_2406.jpgIMG_2407.jpg
It looks like an easy repair, strip off a bit of the black insulation, shove the wire back down in the fitting and solder it in. Anybody have advice or experience. I've already shot an email to light monkey, but if they want to post here too, that'd be great. I don't want to do anything before figuring out what is safe and won't wreck my battery.

the metal tab inside the plastic boot is likely removable with a pair of needle nose pliers (just need to figure which end it will come out of). Extract it, re-solder, and re-insert it....

I have an old Salvo 35w HID can light here. Bought used on ebay. I haven't dove with it yet, but my bathtub checks were sound (produced light, didn't flood). I pulled it out to check it today and the wiring on the battery pack side came loose from the fitting.
View attachment 178720View attachment 178721
It looks like an easy repair, strip off a bit of the black insulation, shove the wire back down in the fitting and solder it in. Anybody have advice or experience. I've already shot an email to light monkey, but if they want to post here too, that'd be great. I don't want to do anything before figuring out what is safe and won't wreck my battery.

Yes. You just need to access the connector, re attach the wire and re solder.

I would just cut the other connector off, and get a replacement Anderson connectors. You can get those on Ebay, Amazon, Batterspace, or any RC/Hobby store. You don't need the housing, but if you have a hard time removing them, just buy new ones.

Batter Space: Anderson Connectors

CBIRCH probablyhas teh best solution. if you insist on removing the pin it comes out the wire end of the connector. A small jewlers screwdriver may be needed to release the catch tab and it should slide right out. the wire was probably crimped on the connector so you will have to get the old wire out to insert the new wire end. Try this adn cut the old stuff out.

http://www.carid.com/universal-trai...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CPnP6Nih87wCFY6Rfgodd0MA6Q

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up sending the light back to light monkey for a general overhaul (the strain reliefs and cord were showing age too). It's good to know there's plenty of fixes that an be done personally though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's good to know how to do this, because in my 7 years of experience with these lights, it's the MOST common failure (the second most common being the wire coming off the battery).

It's good to know how to do this, because in my 7 years of experience with these lights, it's the MOST common failure (the second most common being the wire coming off the battery).

How do you put a loose wire back on the battery? Cut the shrink wrap and solder it back to the board?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom