Canister Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JasonH20:
Hi, I too am sort of in the canister light market. Can I add:

#7-Fixed or focusable reflector, and if fixed, what angle and why?

Thanks!
Jason

If fixed, the answer would depend on the type of diving you do. A wide (13-degree) beam lights up a fairly large area for relatively short distances, and is good for things like backlighting photographs ... but it essentially useless for signaling. It also provides lots of backscatter in turbid water (kind've like driving in a snowstorm with your high beams on). A narrow (6-degree) beam lights up a smaller area, but provides a bright spot you can use for light signals. Also, it projects the beam much further and reduces backscatter considerably.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ShakaZulu:
Why are REC divers using these lights??? U can buy 6 Light Cannons for the price of one???

1. Because there is nothing cooler than diving in blackness with a blindingly bright light showing you what is ahead!!!

2. Because it is more comfortable to use than a handheld.

3. Because if you are doing or planning to do tech diving anyway, you might as well use it on the rec dives as well rather than also buying a Light Cannon.

theskull

I also own a Light Cannon ... I sometimes carry it in my drysuit pocket as a backup ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I just picked up the 18 watt Sartek with the slimlight can, (4.5 hour burn time) havn't dove with it yet but rigging it in the livig room it stays tucked in nice and tight even with wings full I can't tell its there, the light itself is unreal, I'm gonna vaporize fish with it.

Started with a C8
then LED C8 (WOW what a light, I like them)
UK light cannon
now 18 watt sartek

hex92:
I am in the same boat with Night Raven....Trying to figure out which light to buy.

From a monetary perspective I have all but ruled out anything but a 10 watt light. To reduce bulk I want a slimmer canister. I also want to be able to adjust the beam, so no fixed head....

I have been drawn to the DR slimline and the Sartek (see both here) As you can see the Sartek is much more affordable. SO I have been leaning that way.

What have yall heard about Sartek? I know that DR provides good service, and I own alot of DR gear, but is their light worth an extra $120?
I have a 10watt, 4.5amp Sartek and like it quite well! Clean design, focusable light head and small, light package. It's been great since it's purchase early last year. I went through Covci and was looking at the Terkel, but was convinced by Chris that the Sartek folks had a more reliable product.

Great light and zero problems to date!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom