Canister Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own two: an OMS 21W HID, and a DiveRite 10W HID (slimline canister).

The OMS throws a spectacular amount of light, but the canister is big (I have
to attach it to my backplate) and the light head is quite large. I use it only for some
night dives and some lava tube / "cavern" dives. The head is focusable.

The DiveRite 10W is the light I use all the time -- the canister is small and fits
on the waist strap of my harness, and the light head is small and convenient.
For me it's a perfect light for cruising the reef and looking in pukas (holes)
for interesting critters. The head has a fixed 6 degree beam. I am absolutely
tickled with this light.

FWIW I also have a light cannon; I usually loan it to visiting divers.

Also FWIW my regular buddies dive with a Halcyon 18W HID and a NiteRider
halogen.

mweitz:
Rusty, BAH! Look forward to seeing it!

Dr. Bill, yeah, sort of. If you go out with a 10W and your buddy has an 18W it is hard to signal back and forth. The 10W is much harder to "see" if you are looking at the beam of the 18W.

On the not DIR note, if you are out with someone with a more powerful light it makes YOURS harder for you to see, as you are drawn to their light movements since it is brighter.

Mark

I haven't really found this to be the case. Last evening we had six divers in the water with a combination of 10W, 18W, and 21W canister lights. In fact, having a variety of lights made it easier to distinguish who was who (though not by much) when we were all milling around looking at octopus under pilings.

Now, your point has some validity when one diver (in last night's case, me) had a problem with the can light and had to deploy the backup. Even then, however, it wasn't much of an issue ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I haven't really found this to be the case. Last evening we had six divers in the water with a combination of 10W, 18W, and 21W canister lights. In fact, having a variety of lights made it easier to distinguish who was who (though not by much) when we were all milling around looking at octopus under pilings.

Now, your point has some validity when one diver (in last night's case, me) had a problem with the can light and had to deploy the backup. Even then, however, it wasn't much of an issue ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It also depends on the conditions. When you get into better vis during the day I notice a difference. Maybe it's just because I'm so new :D

Mark

NWGratefulDiver:
but the 21W bulb seems to be a bit more robust.
You must be one of those DIR clones I've heard about. :D

mweitz... you are correct... in clear water with high ambient light the difference between a 10w and an 18/21w makes signalling more difficult... but then in those conditions light signals really aren't the bees knees anyway.

In poor viz/poor light we have no problem with the bigger lights *washing out* the smaller lights.

As for the original question:
I cannot recommend Howard Sandroff's light enough... not only is the light as good as it gets but the service I have received is simply outstanding!

I have also received good service from Halcyon but it was not as personal, prompt and proficient as the service that I received from Howard.

I've never hit a situation where I really cared what brand of light my buddies were using. I've never had any issues with following the 10W HIDs. Biggest issues with lights are just if they're charged and working. If the light isn't working it doesn't matter if its a Halcyon, Dive Rite, Terkel, etc.

What I really want is for someone to stick a 50W "video" HID on a goodman handle and pair that with a 13-16Ah NiMH battery pack. Probably cost as much as a scooter, but I'd still buy one =)

NightRaven77:
Hello all...

I am looking into trading in my Light Cannon for a canister light.....

So Im looking for some buying advice.....

#1-reputable brands
#2-any buying guides
#3-must haves
#4-best buys
#5-wattage options
#6-best place to mount it

all that good stuff....

Thanks

NightRaven77
Hi, I too am sort of in the canister light market. Can I add:

#7-Fixed or focusable reflector, and if fixed, what angle and why?

Thanks!
Jason

Why are REC divers using these lights??? U can buy 6 Light Cannons for the price of one???

I am in the same boat with Night Raven....Trying to figure out which light to buy.

From a monetary perspective I have all but ruled out anything but a 10 watt light. To reduce bulk I want a slimmer canister. I also want to be able to adjust the beam, so no fixed head....

I have been drawn to the DR slimline and the Sartek (see both here) As you can see the Sartek is much more affordable. SO I have been leaning that way.

What have yall heard about Sartek? I know that DR provides good service, and I own alot of DR gear, but is their light worth an extra $120?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom