Canister/Primary light held in Left Hand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

imasinker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all, and firsty I would like to say great forum. Secondly thanks for the posting on the DIR III video, I just finished watching and found it very useful.

My question is...

Why do GUE/DIR divers use the left hand to hold the canister or primary light? It seems this is the same arm that one would carry the compass as I do and see many other divers as well. I have an OMS canister HID I wear it on the right but held it with my right and now finding out thats not right by the GUE/DIR standard. Could you please explain this to me.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Hi all, and firsty I would like to say great forum. Secondly thanks for the posting on the DIR III video, I just finished watching and found it very useful.

My question is...

Why do GUE/DIR divers use the left hand to hold the canister or primary light? It seems this is the same arm that one would carry the compass as I do and see many other divers as well. I have an OMS canister HID I wear it on the right but held it with my right and now finding out thats not right by the GUE/DIR standard. Could you please explain this to me.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

I'll start...Because the right hand is on the trigger of the scooter.

There are more but I'll let others chime in.

Holding the light in the right hand won't kill you, but I also found having the light in my dominant hand was more natural.

You learn to donate your primary with your right hand, so having your right hand free enables this without blinding either you or your buddy.

Your guages are on your right wrist, and are used more than your compass, so they can be illuminated with the light easily. (Your guages are on your right so you can monitor depth while dumping your wing with your left hand.)

Tom

While I know of George and Jarrod, I have not heard of Parker. I wasn't sure if you were serious or attempting to add to what I thought was harmless humor. So I did a search.

For those who don't know (like me) here's a write up by George about Parker:
parker turner irvine anglais

Sorry for my poor, however ignorant, humor.

Hunter

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I miss something?

Yeah- two posts were deleted.

Comments were made that I thought were just in fun, so I played along. I didn't realize that one of the divers was deceased. Another poster commented on the poor taste of the humor. Not sure if the person who originally posted knew either. Perhaps that's why they were deleted.

See what happens if you aren't constantly logged in to SB.

Hunter

Light head goes in the left as we donate the long hose with the right hand. If the light was in the right hand and you donated, you'd blind the OOG diver. Possibly making the situation worse.

Your guages are on your right wrist, and are used more than your compass, so they can be illuminated with the light easily. (Your guages are on your right so you can monitor depth while dumping your wing with your left hand.)

Tom

Heh, this makes so much sense....I've always worn my computer on my left hand, and realized that as I was dumping air, I couldn't see my depth....I will now switch to wearing it on the right hand.

Back to the light being in the left hand....when you dump or add air to your wing, are you supposed to switch the light to the right hand? It seems that there might not be enough length to reach back to dump air with the light still in your hand, but maybe (I've only used a can light a couple times and always switched hands while dumping air...).

Heh, this makes so much sense....I've always worn my computer on my left hand, and realized that as I was dumping air, I couldn't see my depth....I will now switch to wearing it on the right hand.

Back to the light being in the left hand....when you dump or add air to your wing, are you supposed to switch the light to the right hand? It seems that there might not be enough length to reach back to dump air with the light still in your hand, but maybe (I've only used a can light a couple times and always switched hands while dumping air...).

With the light's goodman on your left, take your right hand and place it on top of the light. Grab the light body with your right hand and slide the goodman off your left.

Dump/add etc

This "top hold" with the right is a temporary hold. Works perfectly and no wild light signals, continue to look at stuff, etc

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom