Cannon Housing Depth Ratings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dldiver

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all!

I just ordered a new camera - the canon sd800 - i know it's last year's model, but I noticed that it's one of the few digital cameras with a "wide angle" (28mm) option.

ANYHOW... I also ordered the Canon WP-DC9 Housing for that camera and noticed that it is rated to 130'. Has anyone taken it deeper?

There is a site I like to go to that's around 140'-150' in the sand- so not much deeper, but past the housing's depth rating.

what do you think? will the extra 10' or so will blow the housing???

(i've taken my ikelite and sony down there and would like to take the newbie for a dip :) )

Thoughts???

i've taken a s70 in canon housing to 175' without major problems.

the minor problem is the buttons will tend to stay pushed in when you press them.. shutter was ok, aperture/shutter speed was ok, but the zoom in/out would stay pressed untill it reached the end of the range, or you pressed the opposing zoom button to cancel it.

take the housing down empty first then if there are no problems put a camera in it and go have fun. did that with my oly c8080 which is rated for 120 feet. and have taken it to 145ft and no problems. but there is always the chance that thing wont work and you end up with a paper weight.

I've had mine to 50m and a friend hit 60m with his, I believe some of the controls didn't work but the shutter did. As long as you know there is a risk and the guarantee
if any would be void.

I have taken a Canon housing down to about 170' but I wouldn't make a habit of it. The repeated compression and decompression will take a toll on things. I would respect the 130' rating as much as possible.

dldiver:
ANYHOW... I also ordered the Canon WP-DC9 Housing for that camera and noticed that it is rated to 130'. Has anyone taken it deeper?

Thoughts???

I have the same camera and housing. Take the housing down w/out the camera. Push all the buttons. Check it for warping. Swim around... Before ascending, go thru the same thing again. Ascend. Check the housing for water at the surface. If it's dry, you're good to go. I've had mine to 140 w/out issue. I read somewhere that the housings are tested to 150' even though rated to 130'. YMMV

I took my canon dc 800 housing rated for 130' to 200', no leak. But I think that was luck and not something to depend on.

I once took mine down to 145' and had no problems, but you're playing with fire. If you're ok with the risk, go for it, and odds are you'll have no troubles. If it does fail, however, you have no one to blame but yourself.

one last this, use tissue paper to check for leeks put it in the housing and it is a great way to check for leaks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom