Cannon S90 or G11?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Comparing the S90/G11 to the new EVILs is no different than comparing them against a dSLR, it is not a useful comparison completely.

First, the S90 is nearly as fast as the Oly ELP1 especially if you go to manual focus and the Panasonic is essentially unsupported in terms of housings.

Yes, if you get the FIX housing with the G11 or S90 and two strobes you will be in some money. Good news is the strobes are not dedicated to the system as many and probably all dSLR/EVIL units in the future will have optical support.

The S90 is SMALLER by a lot over even the ELP1 and represents an end point evolution rather than a beginning.

I will wait a few more generations before jumping to a new EVIL, especially dependent upon their developing ultra wide angle and fisheye options, notice--lol--the ELP1 in the existing housing for it from Oly DOES NOT support wide angle photography.

At this point the S90 represents more versatility and capability than the M4:3 systems and what will come in the future, we will just take it as it comes.

Historically, higher capability cameras with quality aluminum housings, the housings have run two to three times the price of the cameras, people are spoiled with the cheap OEM stuff. Strobes have always been expensive, always. Buy strobes you can shift forward, same with lenses. My wet lenses are now on camera number four.

I am very excited about the future of M4:3 but the existing examples I am underwhelmed, let's see what comes and if Ikelite ever decides to shove one in a plastic shoebox and if FIX or Patima or Sea Tool etc support any of them.

N

Comparing the S90/G11 to the new EVILs is no different than comparing them against a dSLR, it is not a useful comparison completely.

First, the S90 is nearly as fast as the Oly ELP1 especially if you go to manual focus and the Panasonic is essentially unsupported in terms of housings.

Yes, if you get the FIX housing with the G11 or S90 and two strobes you will be in some money. Good news is the strobes are not dedicated to the system as many and probably all dSLR/EVIL units in the future will have optical support.

The S90 is SMALLER by a lot over even the ELP1 and represents an end point evolution rather than a beginning.

I will wait a few more generations before jumping to a new EVIL, especially dependent upon their developing ultra wide angle and fisheye options, notice--lol--the ELP1 in the existing housing for it from Oly DOES NOT support wide angle photography.

At this point the S90 represents more versatility and capability than the M4:3 systems and what will come in the future, we will just take it as it comes.

Historically, higher capability cameras with quality aluminum housings, the housings have run two to three times the price of the cameras, people are spoiled with the cheap OEM stuff. Strobes have always been expensive, always. Buy strobes you can shift forward, same with lenses. My wet lenses are now on camera number four.

I am very excited about the future of M4:3 but the existing examples I am underwhelmed, let's see what comes and if Ikelite ever decides to shove one in a plastic shoebox and if FIX or Patima or Sea Tool etc support any of them.

N

Inon and Sea tool are supporting the Pany, and at least with the Sea tool, for all the lens, but the price is approaching your standard DSLR, which sort of takes the fun out of it.

Inon and Sea tool are supporting the Pany, and at least with the Sea tool, for all the lens, but the price is approaching your standard DSLR, which sort of takes the fun out of it.

Well, maybe Ikelite or FIX will come out with something really neat.

The pancake 35mm equivalent lens does seem to be able to work with 67mm lenses and I bet with the Fisheye UWL-04. A system that would support both wet lenses and a dry lenses with a dome would provide tons of options and if Ikelite put it in a "fitted" case, well, I would be on that.

Meanwhile I will just have to struggle along with the best underwater camera I have ever had even over my old Nikonos and SLR systems, the FIX90.

N

Thanks all for the info. You have certainly helped me make up my mind.

My end choice is the S90, Ikelite housing (Tray and arms from ikelite or Ultralite? which do you recommend?), a Inon d2000 strobe and the FIX UWL-04 fisheye (Although I cant find anyone who sells).

My background. I live in South Africa and its WAY cheaper to buy in the US and ship it over here, so I'd like to get all from one supplier to save on costs but have sourced everything from amazon, OpticalOceanSales and cant find the Fisheye lens yet. Any ideas?

Also I'd hate to order the stuff only to have it arrive to be incomplete or incompatible. Will this set-up work and is it complete ie: is everything I need there?

Thanks again. I've found this to be a very helpful forum especially since I have little experience and cannot contribute much!

Either Back Scatter Photo or Reef Photo have the equipment including the lens adapter kit and Fisheye lens.

N

Hey diverash,

I'm also based in South Africa and I often use Reef Photo. Their service is simply amazing and they are very flexible with their shipping options. I usually choose the FEDEX international economy shipping which includes customs pre-clearance (so your stuff doesn't get stuck in customs). It takes about a week from shipping to delivery at my door in Jo'burg.

They supply everything you need including the camera and FIX fisheye lens. Feel free to give them a call if you're not sure about anything - they're very helpful and that's part of what you're paying for :)

Regarding the tray and arms - I'd recommend the Ultralight kit.

Thanks guys for the feedback and also tips in comparison between the two. I am also stuck between a G-11 and S-90...

There are a few issues with what you have posted... the 10bar housing only has a dome for the 14-45, so no add on lens. Macro would be with the Leica 45mm lens (expensive little guy, but lovely quality). I would already have that housing if the 14-45 could be used with an outside threaded flat port.

Actually, there is an Olympus adapter for 67mm attachments on the Olympus flat port, for macro lenses. I bought one here for about $45:
Olympus Macro Lens Adapter - Olympus Micro Four Thirds Cameras, Housings & Accessories - Olympus E-System Camera & Housing Systems - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!
I tried it and it works dandy fine with my Inon 67mm/165 macro lens. I also tried a 67mm wide angle lens, but it vignettes of course so you have to zoom tele. No gain, I'm afraid, and it seems precarious on the macro adapter. Not a winner yet.

A true wide adapter would have to cover the front glass and be a closed dome. I'm considering kludging one from an old Ikelite 6" dome port on hand, sort of a jumbo Bigeye. Not sure how that will work out, since it requires precise cutting, milling and gluing acrylic, not my forte. To be continued....

sorry for being a dense girlie but what are the EVILs? :confused:

sorry for being a dense girlie but what are the EVILs? :confused:

Uh, OK:

EVIL = Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens

as opposed to:

dSLR = digital single lens reflex (mirror)

and:

P&S = Point and Shoot

Examples are the Olympus ELP-1 etc, Panasonic GH1, Sony Alpha and rumored cameras from Nikon and Canon and others. The industry has not settled on a universal acronym yet for this new class of cameras, I call them EVIL as do many others, Google is your friend.

N

Back
Top Bottom