Cannot get TTL to wowrk on Sea Sea YS01 and Canon S100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I'm new to using a flash, and have just purchased the Sea Sea YS01 to work with my Canon S100 through the Ikelite housing. I'm trying to use the TTL functionality - which as I understand, allows the camera to detect the exposure and stop the flash once correct exposure is achieved

I realize that my S100 will not TTL will not work in M mode, so am just testing in Tv mode.

I've tried setting my flash to both auto and maximum power, but it seems like the YS01 always fires a full flash, and my shots come out over exposed.

Are there any other settings I need on my S100/strobe for TTL to work correctly? I'm a complete newbie so am probably missing something simple.

Thanks

Simon

Don't think it(TTL) works for M mode---only in Av & Tv-----@ least on my S95 with S&S 110a stobes it's that away........While in M mode on the camera, I have to use M2 setting on my strobes.........Think is correct for the 100 also........

I cannot seem to even get TTL to work in Tv. Is there anything that needs to be set on the camera?

I cannot seem to even get TTL to work in Tv. Is there anything that needs to be set on the camera?
....On my S95, TTL works fine in Av or Tv.........Do you have your strobe set to Slave??--OR-- better question may be 'does your strobe have a slave knob to turn on & off??...........Disclaimer---I am NOT familiar with that exact strobe---on my S&S 110a strobes, I have a 'Slave' knob that must be turned to 'on' for the strobe to fire via the fiber optic cord 'seeing' my camera flash firing... ..................................Just thought in general your S&S might 'act' like my S&S ie for the M--Tv--& Av camera modes(ie the info I originally gave you)......I'm quite sure others will be able to help you a lot more........good luck...Let me know what you find out......Joe, diver 85........

Duckman, I have that camera and strobe and have never bothered with TTL. In my opinion, it is much better to just shoot full manual. If you are shooting macro, set your ISO to 100, set aperture around 6 or 7, use your shutter speed to control how dark your background (say 1/500 if you like a nice dark background), and use your strobe power to control the foreground exposure. It is actually quite easy as you can verify the exposure on your LCD screen and adjust if necessary. You can also easily adjust exposure by varying distance to subject. For macro, you want get close, then get closer.

If you want, you can fiddle a bit with aperture and ISO so that your strobes are about half to 3/4 power (so you can more easily fine-tune exposure with strobe power). One important thing to realize is shutter speed will only affect the exposure of your background, not your foreground.

p.s. you might find your auto-focus works a bit better if you let a bit more light in to the camera, which is one reason to open up your aperture to say 6 or 7, rather than closing it all the way to 8.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom