Canoe Beach, Nahant MA UPDATE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UncleDonnie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Dive On 10/5/12 Update
Water was a nice cozy 52 degrees F. Regular Shore Entry.
  • The Squid are GONE. If you are looking to dive for the Squid they are now officially gone.
  • Tons of Lobster and Crab still.
  • Mating Season
  • JellyFish if you are lucky. We found 2
  • Max Depth we went to was about 20-25 Feet as that was where the most marine life was
  • Due to mating season, the water is filled with _____ as expected. I kind of laughed at this if you are enthusiatic about Scuba Diving this should not affect you at all. Though when I told my old dive buddy she was like um no I wouldn't have. But I am kind of including this as a joke. The water is fine (lol)
  • Lots of Bioluminescent Plankton :D

If you have any other questions feel free to post.

Squid aren't all gone but numbers are probably dwindling. They were at Canoe Beach two weeks ago and I also saw squid 10/1/2012 at Back Beach in Rockport.

Canoe Beach is one of my favorite dive sites. Very underrated as far as I'm concerned. Once you're outside the cove, the visibility tends to improve but viz at Canoe Beach can be hit or miss.

Take a northeast heading and dive the Chimneys, take a right outside the cove and dive East Point, take a left inside the cove and explore some of the swim-thrus or another good dive is to drop all your gear off at 40 Steps and swim out and back into Canoe Beach up to your car. Longer dive so need to watch your air consumption.

Glad you enjoyed it. Parking in Canoe Beach this time of year shouldnt be a problem at all either. Nahant Police won't care as long as you ask first.

Squid aren't all gone but numbers are probably dwindling. They were at Canoe Beach two weeks ago and I also saw squid 10/1/2012 at Back Beach in Rockport.

Canoe Beach is one of my favorite dive sites. Very underrated as far as I'm concerned. Once you're outside the cove, the visibility tends to improve but viz at Canoe Beach can be hit or miss.

Take a northeast heading and dive the Chimneys, take a right outside the cove and dive East Point, take a left inside the cove and explore some of the swim-thrus or another good dive is to drop all your gear off at 40 Steps and swim out and back into Canoe Beach up to your car. Longer dive so need to watch your air consumption.

Glad you enjoyed it. Parking in Canoe Beach this time of year shouldnt be a problem at all either. Nahant Police won't care as long as you ask first.
Wow you are pretty lucky, yeah we couldnt see any squid. Then again we did not leave the cove ,we only went out to the large rock out there(is that the chimney?) But than,s for letting me know, but yeah if they are there their numbers must really be getting lower as the days and seasoon go on.

Glad you had a good time. I'm still seeing some squid. Did a night dive at Back Beach this Monday (10/15) and saw one lonesome squid so they're still here but numbers are dwindling.

I like that idea! 40 steps and dive back to canoe/car.

I was there tonight, viz was not great but once we got out a bit (around the rock) it greatly improved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom