canon 100mm ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba-s

Reaction score
currently have the cannon 60mm but would like to have more magnification ,i am looking at the canon 100mm,not being an expert by no means but if i stood off from the subject the same distance i would with the 60mm to get 1:1 with the 100mm would i not get more then 1:1 with the 100mm at the same distance ? any info from divers with the same lens would be appreciated:)

Hi scuba s,
100 mm macro gives you a larger distance to your object, 1:1 remains the same. 60 mm is great for nudis, 100 perfect for fish pic's, depending on visibility and your strobe set up

Hi scuba s,
100 mm macro gives you a larger distance to your object, 1:1 remains the same. 60 mm is great for nudis, 100 perfect for fish pic's, depending on visibility and your strobe set up
i am looking at eye shots and the tiny stuff what lens is good for that and won"t break the bank?

To get to more than 1:1 magnification there are several options, but other than the Canon 65 macro (which you would be totally nuts to try underwater) there are no common lenses that are stand alone.

1. You can put a diopter on you current lens. The Canon 500 D is a good choice.
2. You can use an external diopter on your port. SubSee, Woody's diopter (nexus) and Macromate are some options.
3. You can put a teleconverter on your lens. Kenko/Tamron 1.4 gets you to 1.4:1 magnification at one stop less light, and the 2.0 diopter gets you to 2:1 magnification at 2 stops light loss. Unfortunately AFAIK there is no tele that works with the Canon 60 mm lens (EFS)
4. You can use an extension ring on your current lens, Canon makes a 12 mm that works with the 60 mm lens.
5. You can use several of these techniques together i.e. extension rings + tele + diopter.

Bill

thanks for the info, would all the options below reduce an already short focus distance on a 60mm?

To get to more than 1:1 magnification there are several options, but other than the Canon 65 macro (which you would be totally nuts to try underwater) there are no common lenses that are stand alone.

1. You can put a diopter on you current lens. The Canon 500 D is a good choice.
2. You can use an external diopter on your port. SubSee, Woody's diopter (nexus) and Macromate are some options.
3. You can put a teleconverter on your lens. Kenko/Tamron 1.4 gets you to 1.4:1 magnification at one stop less light, and the 2.0 diopter gets you to 2:1 magnification at 2 stops light loss. Unfortunately AFAIK there is no tele that works with the Canon 60 mm lens (EFS)
4. You can use an extension ring on your current lens, Canon makes a 12 mm that works with the 60 mm lens.
5. You can use several of these techniques together i.e. extension rings + tele + diopter.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom