Canon 40d underwater housing suggestion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Riks75

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi, I am going on a trip to Maldives in december 09 and wanted to use my canon 40d for underwater photography. I have NEVER done any UW photography before and want to try taking pictures while snorkeling. I own a Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 lens. Can anyone please suggest a housing that has a lens port available for the above lens? I googled and found ikelite housing but didn't find any lens port for the above lens. Also, do I need to buy any lighting or other equipment for UW photography if I just want to take pictures while snorkeling during daytime? Thanks for your help in advance.

You are correct that Ikelite does not make a port recommended for that lens.

You are going to spend a lot of money to do what you are suggesting. My guess is about $2,500 and up unless you can find a used housing.

Why don't you just buy the Canon A-10???? that is waterproof to about 30 feet?

It would be a lot cheaper answer.

If you will just be snorkeling during daylight, the Canon D10 is all that you will need.

+1 I wouldn't house my slr for snorkelling on a holiday.

I'd look at a compact camera, with manual controls personally. Some of the older Canon A series models and a Canon housing would be high on the list.

Or for a bit more look at the G series.

If you are just going to be snorkeling, why not take video @ 1080P and 8 mp stills instead with the this! Just another idea, you have a lot of great options!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom