Canon 40D with 18-55 lens and diopter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba-s

Reaction score
am looking at using the cannon18-55 kit lens on upcomming trip, do I need to put a diopter on the lens i have a cannon 40D ikelite housing and a 6 inch dome,any help would be appreciated ,in the near future i will be getting a 8 inch dome and a tonkinaa 10-17 lens
steve:)

If you use a port extender then you can use the diopter for better corner sharpness. If you don't have the extender, don't use the diopter, at close focus the diopter will hit the inside of the dome.
Bill

In my view you do not need the diopter. The 6" dome will work fine for the 18-55 kit lens. The 40D is a good choice for body as you'll need to use it's capabilities. Try like heck not to use a strobe as you'll probably encounter more back-scatter than you'd think - unless you're a pretty good underwater photographer. Shoot in RAW, adjust white balance later. Just worry about exposure being right. Keep the lens apeture as open as you can and the shutter speed as fast as you can while getting decent exposure to reduce motion blur - the critters are quick..

If you have to use a strobe, get in close to reduce the amount of water between you and the subject - this will help reduce the back-scatter..

Have fun - and get ready to buy a macro lens and more ports!! The bug will bite you!!

Underwater Explorations - underwater photography book, all images shot with a Canon 20D..

Other underwater photo galleries - also all shot with a Canon 20D..

Cheers,

Monty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom