Canon 7D lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a Canon 10-20mm on a 20D in an Ike housing.
I also started now with a Sigma 17-70 HSM as a dive-around lens.
On a FF I'd prefer a 17-40mm though, which is better than a 10-22.

Well, you do have good vis in your office...! However, I think that using a 60 mm lens to shoot anything fairly large will mean enough of a water column to give pretty poor results in most situations.

:)

Absolutely, but I don't think that was Craig's point. I use the 60 for fish portraits and for macro. The biggest problem even in good vis is lighting something so big. But for natural light, you can get some interesting shots.
Bill

Bill,

Are you talking about the 100mm IS or the 100mm? I use the 100mm IS. Also note that I shoot from the beach where visibility is usually in the 10 foot range with particulate in the water. When using autofocus the lens may be thrown off by moving particulate in the water column. Since the 60mm has a smaller water column than the 100mm for the same magnification, this problem is not as prevalent with the 100mm. My knowledge is based on 4 months of shooting every weekend with one of these two lenses so I may still be considered a novice in DSLR.

Craig
I shoot both here in LA, not always the best vis but I only shoot tiny stuff and with a good focus light, in my hands, the 100 focuses faster, which is what you said. If you mean trouble finding focus then of course there are cases where the 100 will have more trouble than the 60 but at least for me not usually. I can't afford the 100 IS lens, I am shooting the old 100 but in the studio at least the 100 IS focuses much faster than my lens.
Bill

Hi all

I have a 7D with the Hugyfot housing with twin Inon Z240's. I've only done about 25 dives with it but it is fabulous! Lenses I have are the Canon 60mm with Macro and the Canon 10-22. First set of dives with the 60mm were real "OMG" moments - cannot believe how good this is. I found the 10-22 more difficult to get results with but have recently done some cold water diving in UK with much better results. I tried a 50mm Canon prime lens the other day in the pool to photograph a childerns scuba party and some of those are ace. But the Hugyfot casing is such a joy to use with its "idiot(for which read: ME)-proof" antiflooding system - WOW! :
. Interesting to read the 60mm vs 100m lens debate here

All the best
/scuba_dog

I also have a 7D with a Hugyfot housing. As I don't have strobes yet, I've put off the purchase of the macro lens. Hence, I'm enjoying this discussion.

So far I've used just the 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 IS and, with the crop sensor, I can't imagine wanting to get anything longer. I may try my fixed 35mm f/2 EF for some landscape shots on our deep walls here at some point, but that would be a very specific dive. Obviously, with the wider aperture there's nowhere near the light coming in when I'm at the 22mm limit (f/4.5) and, as doctormike points out, you just never know what else might come along!

Hi everybody,

Around month ago I landed with 7D as well (using previously other Canon EOS systems - 3, 350D, 40D) and took a chance to upgrade my uw gear as well (previously using IXUS 980). For my 7D I got Ikelite with DS-161 strobe. As a long time canon user I have bunch of lenses, but for the uw I purchased two ports to use with my 17-40 f/4L and 100 f/2,8 macro lenses. Well... the gear hasn't seen the water yet - still waiting for the weather to get a bit warmer, but I hope for some trials in pool soon.
For the ground shooting - I equally love both lenses 17-40 and 100 macro - most of my best shots came out of them. The 17-40 is sharp, fast enough and reproduces great colors. As for the 100 macro... it will make you able to assess if a mosquito needs shaving or not :wink: awesome lens, hope to get equal results in the water.
Wishing to everybody great shots.

Cheers
Dominik

good info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom