Canon 7D w 24-70mm f/2.8 L II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chaseh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've upgraded my photo game since I was last diving in 2011 and now that we're looking to our next dive trip, I'm starting to think about housings for my new gear.

It looks like Ikelite doesn't offer a housing (or port) that can handle a 24-70mm f/2.8 L II on a Canon 7D. Is this so? Is there a reason why it can't be done? Do you have recommendations on housings that would work for this. I know it may not be an ideal lens for diving but it's an amazing lens for general use and I'd like to make use of it.

There's no port for it on the Nauticam port chart either. Also, there's no port for the Nikon 24-70/2.8 lens.

There's a reason for that...they aren't really used underwater.

The 24-70mm is also a pretty big lens with its 88,5mm diameter its more than a centimeter thicker than the canon ef 100mm f/2.8L and half a centimeter thicker than a wideangle lense like the ef 17-40mm f/4L..
The reason why I dont have a 24-70 lens is infact that I couldn't find a port for it, so I went with the 17-40mm and the 100mm macro instead. Downside to DSLRs, not much options to make it as flexible as a fixed-lens compact.

I guess I'm resolved to work with my 10-22mm EF-S and will later build with a purchase of a good macro. the 24-70 2.8 is an amazing lens, just not for this. I thought that shooting with the aperture wide open would have looked good and been effective.

It is a very handy lens, but it will produce better pictures stopped down than wide open :wink:

Hello Chaseh,

There has been some great reviews of this tokina lens
[h=1] Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 Pro DX Autofocus Lens for Canon APS-C DSLRs [/h]

I like the bokeh

You don't need to open your aperture to 2.8 to get a shallow dof underwater...especially with a macro lens.

Or to put it in pictures...
Taken with a 100mm f/2.8L macro on a 7D body, f/10...
9305237423_91db2a6f40_o.jpg

Yeah it is... I like your image, Tigerman. It's a blown up mirror of your avatar :)

D7000, 105/2.8 VR Micro & Subsee +10 diopter @ 1/125, F29, ISO400

12530652075_58b9ea2cba_c.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom