Canon A-95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only button that isn't accessable is the pict-bridge, and I don't think anyone is making an underwater printer.

PhotoTJ:
The only button that isn't accessable is the pict-bridge, and I don't think anyone is making an underwater printer.

haha, canon are tricky buggers - apparently they are releasing another housing DC-50 for this camera. However you've already found out it is fitting in the A80 housing.

They may have added the glare shield from the DC30 to the DC900, and called it the DC50, I can't imagine what else they would do to it. The fit is perfect.

PhotoTJ:
They may have added the glare shield from the DC30 to the DC900, and called it the DC50, I can't imagine what else they would do to it. The fit is perfect.

I'm looking at a Canon to buy for topside and underwater. This will be my first digital camera but I want a decent one so I dont have to buy another for a good while. My analog non-slr just jammed so it is a good time to shop for a good digital. I probably wont be making any big prints (unless at the very unlikely event of a great shot that I want to make a poster of), so dont need a lot of pixels. Had been thinking of the S1 because of the anti-shake feature but not too many people in this board have used it extensively. It does have a 10x optical zoom as well which I thought would be great for closeup shots of tiny shrimps and what not. But then I look at some of the pictures you guys have taken with the A75-A70, and think 10x may not be necessary for great closeups. S1 only has 3.2 M pixels but the argument (as made in http://www.imaging-resource.com/) goes that the antishake feature really enhances the shots so much more and maybe worth more than the extra pixels. S1 is not good in "low light conditions" but that seems to be a problem for all cameras in this same price range. Would the external strobes recommended here for A70-75 be (eg Inon) be useable on the S1? What are the views of the A series owners on S1? Is there some big UW disadvantage that I am missing?

IWANDER,
you might be interested in the canon a80 office depot has it on sale for $200, this is an amazing deal, just ask anyone who already has an a80. this is the step above the a75. It has 4mp and 3x optical zoom. 4mp is enough mp for what you want to do. You will even be able to print some large pics if you want to I absolutely love mine. might want to check it out.

this is an in store only deal. IF they are out of stock, try pricematching it somewhere else, good luck

http://ofc.rsc01.net/servlet/website/ResponseForm?hMJEuhg0hiWT.25VTyvw

I think you need to look at what your use is going to be. I'm looking for something small that I can take easily with me and that I can also use for underwater. The Canon A-95 fits the bill. Personally I'll never go back to film for underwater. Just to much in developing cost.

A lot of digitals "point and shoot" have a problem however with distance shots, even with a 3x optical zoom. My wife is an avid bird watcher. While the A-95 is great for close shots or landscapes your not going to get a great shot of a small bird in a tree. For that you need something like the 10D or the upcoming 20D which are digital SLR's. Then you can get a "real" zoom lens.

I'm guessing that eventually my wife and I will own both. The A-95 to share and the 20D for her more serious photography.

One nice thing about the Canon A series is that you can get into digital underwater photography for a comparatively low price.

-Ron

I know with my A70 that for topside photos you can add telephoto or macro lenses. They are my xmas wish list.

Wendy:
I know with my A70 that for topside photos you can add telephoto or macro lenses. They are my xmas wish list.

I agree with this. You can always add lenses to get that bit of extra zoom. Underwater zoom is not very important - 3X is plenty. Remember the further the light has to travel to your lens through water the more colours that are absorbed - so get close and shoot wider is usally better.

However saying this the antishake feature is tempting. For purely using it underwater I wouldn't go for the S1. If you a small land camera to always have on hand I think the A-series are still small enough whereas the S1 is getting pretty big. However if you intend on shooting distant subjects on land and will use long zooms often the S1 is the only way to go. An A series with a tele lens won't match it. You really have to weigh up the pros and cons for what you need the camera for. Unfortunatly there is no perfect camera, just ones that suit more or less of your particular needs.

For underwater in the canon compact range I really see the S60/S70 as being the best suited, plus it's nice and compact for land too.

I gotta tell ya, if I have used my zoom on more than three photos, I'd be suprised. And that is no exageration. I've put together a set of specs and sent them to Canon for a truly great digital camera, we'll see what comes of it.

The A-95 is a great buy, and the WP DC-900 fits it perfectly. Until Canon produces the TJ UW-1000, (catchy name, eh? :wink: ), go with the 95.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom