Canon A720 IS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Willuw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hey Everyone,

I am looking into my first *DIGITAL* underwater setup..

After much looking I think I have decided on the Canon A720 IS. I know the A series seems to be a good entry (and further) camera - yet I haven't seen many people with it yet. My main reason for this camera instead of the 550 is due to the 6x optical (for land use!). Any yays or nays on this setup? I haven't really been able to find another camera with equivalent specs (mainly 6x+ optical) so it seems like the best way to go for the budget.

Also, and correct me if im wrong, I know cameras compatibility with larger memory cards is dependent on the formatting of the card. What is the general compatibility with the A series camera in terms of max card size? I was looking in the 2-4GB range for more room, especially if I decide to take some video. Any comments?

Thanks Everyone! :)

Hey Everyone,

I am looking into my first *DIGITAL* underwater setup..

After much looking I think I have decided on the Canon A720 IS. I know the A series seems to be a good entry (and further) camera - yet I haven't seen many people with it yet. My main reason for this camera instead of the 550 is due to the 6x optical (for land use!). Any yays or nays on this setup? I haven't really been able to find another camera with equivalent specs (mainly 6x+ optical) so it seems like the best way to go for the budget.

Also, and correct me if im wrong, I know cameras compatibility with larger memory cards is dependent on the formatting of the card. What is the general compatibility with the A series camera in terms of max card size? I was looking in the 2-4GB range for more room, especially if I decide to take some video. Any comments?

Thanks Everyone! :)

Bang for the buck I don't think you can go wrong with the a720is. That's a lot of features and great pic quality standard for the a series for under 200 bucks plus no tax and free shipping from buydig.com. Add the housing for about 159! I am considering this camera as well. Great reviews.

Pretty sure it will take up to a 4gig card.

You won't be adding any external lenses to the canon housing though of course but you could add a strobe.

Canon Powershot A720 IS Digital Camera |BuyDig.com

Yes, I think it is a very good deal and bang for the buck. I looked at canons site and couldnt find much, this is all I found:

Storage Media
SD/SDHC Memory Card, MultiMediaCard, MMC Plus Card, HC MMC Plus Card
File Format
Design rule for camera file system, DPOF Version 1.1

I have it narrowed down to the A640 and the A720-IS, but am leaning towards the A720-IS right now. I look forward to reading more feedback on this topic before I buy.

Thanks for posting.

I looked at canons site and couldnt find much, this is all I found:

Storage Media
File Format

Here is a link to the canon web page and the a720. You must not have been looking in the right place. & pages worth of links specifically on this camera. Happy hunting...

Digital Cameras - High-End, Advanced Digital Cameras - Performance and Style, Digital ELPH Cameras - Easy and Fun! A-Series Digital Cameras - Digital Camera - PowerShot A720 IS - Canon USA Consumer Products

I looked at canons site and couldnt find much, this is all I found:

Storage Media
File Format

EDITED: :11doh: Oh I see what ya mean will. You were talking about the info on the storage allowance. Yeah. That said, I assume up to 4 gig cards can be used as all of the web pages selling it list a 4 gig card and no higher as an "accsessory."

I have just purchased this camera (with its Canon housing) myself, am upgrading from a Canon S50. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, my first dives with it will be in December in SE Florida (WPB, FLL). I bought two 4GB SDHC cards, which should work with the camera.

Btw, the reason not many people have this setup is because it's a relatively new camera (announced in August).

I have the A570IS & love it($400 for camera & UW housing).........will take a 4 gig although I have only a bunch of 2 gig's......see my pics (in my sig), also does well on the videos too......You'll like it IMO.........

Back
Top Bottom