Canon G10 housing dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a hard time finding this myself, and am in the exact same situation you are, so I am happy to share.
While in Av or Tv mode, with the appropriate adjustment "slider" in view and "active" on the LCD, you press and hold the "shift" button on the top left corner of the rear, and then toggle left or right by pressing on the sides of the 4-way selector on the right side of the rear. You will see the slider move accordingly. Takes 2 hands, but accomplishes the same as the rotating dial.
Sounds harder than it is. try it.
Tom

Thanks! I was having some trouble with this last night, missing the use of the dial I would have been able to do out of the housing. Will have to try it to see how well it works.

Thanks! I was having some trouble with this last night, missing the use of the dial I would have been able to do out of the housing. Will have to try it to see how well it works.

I only have a G7 but you should have the same functions as I do.

Read about using the Custom settings (C1 and C2) on the dial for setup. You can set aperture, iso, focus type, macro/landscape, flash power and shutter speed on these to whatever setting you like and have them saved for ready use. I usually set them for macro - one with the smallest aperture 8 and the other at 5.6 for less depth of field. On the other wheel settings I've found that you can set them but as soon as you turn off the camera the settings are gone. I make a practise to turn off the camera as much as possible to save battery life and keep the camera cool to avoid condensation in the uw case.

FYI - I got the canon housing. I'd save the money on the UW case and get a strobe and focus light because the camera flash is not much use underwater. I have read of quality control issues on G9 cases for scratches around buttons though.

I would definitely take a look and consider the new Seatool housing for the G10. We are still waiting for final word on whether Patima will release a G10 housing. The G9 was a great seller.

I had a hard time finding this myself, and am in the exact same situation you are, so I am happy to share.
While in Av or Tv mode, with the appropriate adjustment "slider" in view and "active" on the LCD, you press and hold the "shift" button on the top left corner of the rear, and then toggle left or right by pressing on the sides of the 4-way selector on the right side of the rear. You will see the slider move accordingly. Takes 2 hands, but accomplishes the same as the rotating dial.
Sounds harder than it is. try it.
Tom
I use this technique, but prefer to use the manual mode, which provides much more control. You can use all of the functions without the 'dial' by the method above. As suggested, you can test it without a WP case. With gloves on, it can be easier than the 'dial'.
You can also set the "Shift" Button to assign white balance and still use it for changing aperture, shutter speed and, I believe, manual focus.

For those of us on limited budgets; has anyone used the Canon housing yet? Thoughts? I've used Canon's housing for my old S400 for a couple years now and been very pleased with it; not a single problem and fits perfectly.

Specifically, do the controls all fit nicely and work well? And is there any vignetting at full wide angle?

Thanks in advance!

I'm a beginer in HW photo.
I just bought the G10 and i have the same dought's about the Canon housing.

My friend has the G9 housing, and my question is for the G9 ou G10 housing:
Does the Canon Housing has conection for an external Subestrobe???

I've just purchased this setup for my wife for Christmas. We'll see how she likes it. She has a great eye, but doesn't care for the hassle (and size) of my D200 rig. We're heading to Utila shortly after Christmas, so I'll try and give you an update once we've played with it for a bit.

The biggest advantage to using the Ikelite housing that you may be overlooking is that it allows you to have true TTL with the G9 or G10 and Ikelite strobes. This is a huge advantage in that it works well and allows you to get perfectly exposed shots quickly before the fish disappears while you're adjusting your manual strobe. Here is a gallery of pictures with dual Ikelite strobes, all shot with TTL. fiji_beqa_island Photo Gallery by Mel Moncrieff at pbase.com

Mel

I recently purchased the G10 w/the cannon housing. Can any one recommend a good, economical strobe set up? I am new to uw photography.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom