Canon G10 Waterproof Housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BVickery

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Wife and I are going to pick up a G10 after reading a lot of the feedback from others. The only real concern we have is the scarcity of the Canon waterproof housings. Anyone know what the situation is with these by chance?

They will be available..when??? I decided to go to another housing when I heard the issues reagrding attaching a strobe

What issues about attaching a strobe have you heard about?

What issues about attaching a strobe have you heard about?

The Canon housing lacks a direct port to mount a fiber optic chord or any bulkhead for TTL. This is easily remedied by making your own attachment for the fiber optic chord.

Personally I went with the Ikelite housing for my G10. The Ikelite housing has a bulkhead connection for TTL functionality and is built with high quality materials. I have not been impressed at all by the cheap feel of Canon's housings. Here's a good post which shows the pros and cons of each housing available: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/283511-g10-housings.html

Thanks for the input on all these. Now to figure a place to go and check out the housings overall.

i just got my g-10 and i recommend the ikelite housing. imo you get what you pay for they are pricy but well worth it.

i just got my g-10 and i recommend the ikelite housing. imo you get what you pay for they are pricy but well worth it.

I recommend the ikelite housing as well. Its a happy middle ground on features, quality and price. The Seatool housing does have a great Fisheye lens and the Patima housing is also really nice, but its not really worth a thousand bucks "for me".

I'd say Ikelite as a minimum. I have a Canon housing and have been unimpressed. Canon's O-ring seems like a flimsy safeguard against water damage, and while it seems to work, the craftsmanship just doesn't impress me. My old Sony housing for a past camera was just about bulletproof with both a gasket and an o-ring. A word of caution about the ikelite, my friend got her o-ring twisted when she closed it and it flooded instantly. I guess this could happen with any brand, but Ikelite's design may be more conducive. I have sprung a leak in my Canon housing (I missed a hair caught in the seal), but it was slow enough that I had plenty of time to hit the surface and the camera was fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom