Canon G11 settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PatW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just got a new system. It is a canon g11 (which seems to be an admirable point and shoot), an ikelite case, and the ikelite strobe (51 I think).

Anyrate, what setting do most of you use? I have fiddled with the system. It looks to me as AV (apeture setting) or TV (I think that is the shutter setting) is the way to go. I have not fooled with WB. I was thinking of just *flash*. Maybe for long shots in shallow water I would use the underwater mode or go with raw and correct it in post processing. In Iso, I have been leaning towards a low iso for maximum resolution - 80 or 100 maybe 200 depending on conditions and range of the shot.

So what do you all recommend?

The G11 is more than admirable. My G10 is a fantastic camera and so is the G11 :D.

I'm no expert and there are several experts on Scubaboard. Here is what I use.

I very recently switched to RAW as it allows the adjustment of white balance, especially on the non-strobe shots, that shooting in the JPG mode just can't do. I process the RAW photos with the Canon DPP software as respects white balance and conversion to JPG. I then use Photoshop for the rest of the editing. I like the DPP versus PS for the white balance step. Just a personal preference.

I read some articles that stated F5.6 was the "sweet spot" on the G10 and I use it all the time for strobe shots. Can't say for the G11.

For strobe shots I use the M Mode, 80 ISO, F5.6, 1/500 shutter speed and "auto" white balance which I can adjust if necessary after the fact in Canon DPP. The fastest shutter speed for the G10 and the G11 is 1/500 when using the internal strobe. There are faster shutter speed settings but they do not work when the camera's strobe is on. If you set a faster shutter speed it will automatically default to 1/500. Take a test photo then check the EXIF data and you will see that is the case. The manual also states this.

For non-strobe shots I use the Av mode, ISO 80 in shallow depths and 100 or 200 at deeper depths depending on available light. I try F4 or higher at shallow depths and F2.8 at deeper depths if I have to. I use the "underwater" white balance setting and I adjust the WB after the fact in Canon DPP. The lower the ISO the less chance of "digital noise"

I use the Custom 1 setting to save my strobe settings and the C2 for my non-strobe settings. The C1 and C2 settings cannot save the ISO setting as it is a separate dial.

Last edited:
Gilligan, little buddy, you did a pretty good job of covering the basics.

There are several preference setting that one might also consider.

The lens on the G11 and G10 have the same lens, by the way.

I used to worry a lot about F stops (left over from the big camera days), but any more just use shutter and Program modes for most images.

I used to shoot raw +jpeg...it wastes a lot of memory space, so just shoot raw as you do and make jpeg's later.

I used to worry a lot about getting a perfect exposure, but if shooting raw, just being close is good enough (but dark, never light).

I use only ISO 80... but not really sure there is much difference in 100, just try to get the best image I can.

The 1/500 comes in handy if you are shooting macro (as the anti shake does not work with macro and it helps cut down the strobe light), but it can make for dark backgrounds:

Fish601.JPG

So using something slower may be a good idea if you don't like that look.

I sometimes use manual focus, if I am trying to get an image of a difficult fish.. you set the focus and then wait for the fish to be in that space. Reduces shutter lag also.

anglefish730.JPG

I have a G9 and have been shooting with f/5.6 for most of my shots too. Mine is setup with a DS-125 strobe, so I am using TTL most of the time. In the beginning I was not having much luck with Av mode since the camera locks to 1/60 shutter speed. I was able to get around this by using the CHDK utility to override the aperture to lock at f/5.6, then use Tv mode to adjust the shutter speed to whatever I like.

I used giligans settings and the images were spot on in murky (5 foot vis) water with little effort on my part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom