Canon G12 versus Olympus Pen E-PL1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the epl-1 will give you way more control over dof. Also with the larger sensor it will give you way better image quality. The tweaks olympus made to the epl-1 lets it shoot well upto 2000iso. And it is the same 4/3 senor in the olympus dslr. So you are getting dslr image quality. If you get a chance you can go to image resources and compare photo samples. And from 100-1600iso, the epl-1 will match asp-c dslr in image quality, just not the dof or AF speed.

It looks like the camera+ housing+ housing+ strobes for the Olympus is almost as big and bulky as a DSLR setup from what I see in the picture. That would be another reason for favoring a smaller setup with the G12. But please correct me if I am misjudging from the picture (as a lurker debating between the elp-1, canon g12, or the sea and sea dx-2g).

It looks like the camera+ housing+ housing+ strobes for the Olympus is almost as big and bulky as a DSLR setup from what I see in the picture. That would be another reason for favoring a smaller setup with the G12. But please correct me if I am misjudging from the picture (as a lurker debating between the elp-1, canon g12, or the sea and sea dx-2g).

The e-pl1 setup is actually a lot smaller than my previous G9 / Ikelite setup, and a lot more compact than a typical full size DSLR setup.
The E-PL1 has the same sensor as the Olympus DSLR, just in a compact body, so for the same size you get a lot more camera than the G12 or S95.

There are some newer DSLR housings that are more compact than Ikelite, but you are talking more money and they still are bigger than the e-pl1 in an olympus or 10bar housing.

There is no perfect system and your choices may be different than mine, but I can share my rationale. -
I wanted the best quality that I could get within a reasonable budget and that would travel easy.
The picture in the previous post shows the rig with an Ikelite tray, I now use a Ultralight tray that is even more compact. You may also be thrown off by the diminutive size of the s2000 strobes.

I have added here pictures below of the oly housing (with the larger Zen dome port) and camera compared to the smaller canon housing and a Canon T2i, a great option for an U/W DSLR. You will notice that the e-pl1 is not much bigger than the G9. I no longer have the Ikelite housing for the G9 to compare, but that housing combined with the Ike strobes was a much bigger and heavier kit to transport and use than my current E-PL1 setup.

The sea and sea dx-2g is probably going to be a bit more compact than any of the other options, but you are again staying in the domain of really really small sensors and loss of image quality that it brings and when you add a tray and strobes, it's going to be about the same size.
Again, it's what you do with the gear that matters most. I have seen some awesome pictures from small sensor cameras and some U/W snapshots from DSLRs, but having the better tool can help.

cameras-8925-2.jpg

cameras-8926.jpg

Just some experience I can share....
I have an amazing super compact performer with the Sea&sea Dx1G but I missed the quality of DSLR. So I tried the EPL1 and while lots of options are still missing to complete the setup it is nice to see the better quality over and under the water.

Basically underwater you may as well go for a great Canon setup which currently has more choices but for me to carry a DSLR is basically not reality anymore for the traveling I do. >This has to do mainly with the WEIGHT associated with the lenses for DSLRs than for anything else. The EPL1 system is a LOT lighter thanks to the very light lenses that you can associate with them. You cannot really do that with APS type systems. Underwater all this is less important but when you travel and want to lug around a few more lenses also for over the water shooting as well as underwater APS lenses have become too heavy for my taste...!

Weight and bulkiness is this is the reason that i use almost only my Canon G11 rig and rarely my D90/Ikelite rig.
Maybe the EPL1 has the same size as the G11/12 but the housing is ways more bigger and i uess that it's also more "heavy" than a G11 rig.
Airport and airline restrictions and my back are getting too hard for shlepping 50lbs of DSLR gear around when i can stuff the G11 in a briefcase size pelicase and take it carry-on.

Chris

Weight and bulkiness is this is the reason that i use almost only my Canon G11 rig and rarely my D90/Ikelite rig.
Maybe the EPL1 has the same size as the G11/12 but the housing is ways more bigger and i uess that it's also more "heavy" than a G11 rig.
Airport and airline restrictions and my back are getting too hard for shlepping 50lbs of DSLR gear around when i can stuff the G11 in a briefcase size pelicase and take it carry-on.

Chris
Chris,
Some data:
Those Ike housings for the G series are pretty heavy, but the Ike housings for the DSLRs are huge and way heavier. Not so with the Olympus housing for the e-pl1.

The G12 in a Canon case is 2 lbs lighter than an E-PL1 in a Oly case. and it is smaller. The G12 in an Ike housing is 2 lbs heavier and a tad bigger than the E-pl1 in the olympus housing.
  • The G9 in canon case is 1 lb 14 oz.
  • The e-pl1 with battery in the housing + the Zen dome is 3 lbs 14 ounces.
  • The canon G12 in an Ikelite housing is about 6 lbs.
Strobes, tray, arms, lights, etc are all independent of whether e-pl1 or G12.
Get some s2000's and the total for 2 strobes will be about 1 lb.

Thanks for the information- this is really helpful. On my current budget, I am looking at the package that I probably cannot swing the Zen dome and the 9-18 lens right now. But I like the fact that I can upgrade this as my budget allows. If you had to prioritize, which of those would be more important? It also looks like you need to get a zoom ring even for the kit lens that comes with the camera.

under_water,
my concern is mainly size, but and as a bigger housing need a bigger box, backpack, luggage or what else it may being packed in the over-all weight will increase. I choosed carefully the G11 as it fit's my hands, my vest pocket and the glove box of my car and underwater i don't have to deceide what lens or port i may will use.
I traveled in various places and several times Italy-Costa Rica and i was very "nervous" that my gear get lost or stolen. Now i take my gear carry-on and travel with one piece luggage, and this makes travelling -for me!- much more relaxed and easy.
I use one D-2000 and i think size and weight are acceptable, while my Ikelite DS-125 is heavy and bulky. The S-2000 is no option for me as it lacks the focus/pilot light, the AE mode and i doubt that it has the same power than the D-2000 (but thats my immagination).

Actually i have some mental problems to see the sense of micro 4:3ths cameras and i find that the look rather silly, but thats my old--fashioned opinion built over almost 40 years of photographing as hobby.
It would be interesting how the size of the Olympus EPL1 housing to a DSLR housin compares,
but at a certain point i personally rather use my D90 and my lenses than a micro 4:3 format camera as the size of the housing seems to be similar.

Chris

Thanks for the information- this is really helpful. On my current budget, I am looking at the package that I probably cannot swing the Zen dome and the 9-18 lens right now. But I like the fact that I can upgrade this as my budget allows. If you had to prioritize, which of those would be more important? It also looks like you need to get a zoom ring even for the kit lens that comes with the camera.

You hit on one of the great attributes of the E-PL1 - incremental upgrades! Ocean Frontiers on the east end of Grand Cayman adopted the "basic" E-PL1 kit lens and Oly housing as it's rental and class camera gear, they've been getting some great images from students brand new to the setup. So, just right out of the box with the basic kit you can get fairly wide at 14mm and also do some fairly decent macro work at work42mm. With that basic setup you can then add the Macro adapter (snaps on the front of the Oly housing) for $50 and a 2:1 wet macro lens from Inon or Oly for about $170. Relatively cheap option to get a nice macro setup and we've not even really dealt with other lenses / ports yet.

I believe your question was which would be more important if you could only do one at once - the 9-18mm lens or the Zen dome port. Personally, although you CAN use the 9-18 without the dome port, I wouldn't. You can see why here - Welcome to zenunderwater.com!

The lens is about $600 and the dome port is $499. If it were me I'd for sure buy the lens first because you can use that out of water - I hear it's a very nice walking around and landscape lens.

Other options for WA are the 8mm fisheye, however, the lens is quite pricey ($739) and not a very useful above water lens and the port for that is $799!

You can also go with the Panny 7-14mm WA lens ($900) and the Zen port for that lens is also $499. This is the option I went with because I felt the extra 2mm at the wide end and lens/PQ improvements over the 9-18 was worth the $300 (mainly the extra 2mm, PQ is very close). Also the 7-14 is a very good above water lens.

Also - yes you need a zoom gear no matter what lens you use in the housing. One other nice thing about opting for the 7-14mm Panny lens is that there is a shim available you add to the 14-42 zoom gear so you don't have to buy a separate zoom ring for the 7-14mm. I don't have it yet so can't comment on how well it works. I'm waiting on the Zen port now.

Hope this helps!

As for the OP's question - I grew unhappy with my Oly SP-350 / Oly housing, Inon D2000 and Inon wet WA lens. It probably was more user limitation than anything but I wanted something that would do better video as well. For above water use I had a Nikon D300 and handful of lenses. Cost, size and lack of video kept me from even considering housing that beast. Lastly I was tired of hauling ALL of the gear on vacation so the D300 generally sat home and wasn't getting much use. So I sold all of it, both kits (except the strobe and ULCS tray/arms). Turns out that netted me enough to pick up the E-PL1, Oly Housing, Panny 7-14mm, Zen dome, Inon Macro lens, Oly Macro adapter, Sola 600 video / focus light, add on parts to my ULCS tray, zoom gears, extra battery and a couple SDHC cards. I was also considering either the G12 or S95. I could have been happy with either underwater I'm sure, but not above. Once I did a bit of research on the E-PL1 it was a no-brainer for me. I've got a similarly sized kit as SP-350 setup (when you include the tray and strobe) that will do better underwater then SP-350, G12 or S95 and be worlds better and more versatile above water. Given that entry pricing for underwater is SO close in price between G12 and E-PL1, to me it's really not much of a comparison. E-PL1 hands down.

Back
Top Bottom