Canon G12..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wiggsy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm impressed byt the results I've seen with my buddy's G11, but hear the G12 will have HD video....? Just wondering if anyone has any idea when the G12 is likely to be released and what features it may well have..?

Well rumors fly about such things all the time. You might try going to digital photography review and see what people on their forum are saying about the G12.

I have the G11. I have looked at the rumors of the G12 out of curiosity (and wondering if maybe I outta held back until the new & improved version came out). The rumors are all over the map. Some say that there will be a bigger sensor. But that seems to be a misguided minority. Most of the rumors say that Canon pushes out its G series every fall. So it should come out in Oct or Nov. I have heard that it will have the same sensor. It will have some minor ergometric tweaks. I did not pay attention to the video features because I am a pretty much a still only photographer.

I was really surprised the G11 doesn't shoot in HD. My little Canon 960 does. It's not full 1080, but it's still nice-quality HD. I've been considering getting a G11. But if there's a possibility the G12 will have HD video of some sort, I think I'll have to wait on my purchase.

If it's going to come out this year it will probably be announced by either 9/21/10 or 10/28/10. Photokina which is the largest photo show in the world starts on 9/21 and PhotoPlus which is the USA's biggest photo show starts on 10/28. Camera manufacturers usually use these show to bring out new gear.

Canon did announce that they are developing a new system of EVIL cameras but, didn't announce a release date.

hopefully my 570 holds up about another year-----or so....Looks like some good options on the horizon.....

Canon did announce that they are developing a new system of EVIL cameras but, didn't announce a release date.

Exactly what I've been holding out for. :D

There are several forums that report the G12 as:

Backlight sensor, 10MP
HD video
ergonomic changes

The S95:
24mm optic (bad for us who want to use wet lenses)
ergonomic changes (will not be retro compatible with housings)
Same sensor as G12
HD video

Better for land photography is not always better for underwater.

Also, the big boss at Canon said they are working on a new small dSLR, much thinner and smaller than the chunky Rebel series, with half the lens setback and available pancake lenses etc.

N

More Rumors on G12:
Amidst other Canon camera announcements earlier today, the Canon G12 briefly appeared on Cnet Asia. It’s gone from the site now, but the key features and specs are out in the open.
Canon PowerShot G12 Key Features

* 10MP CCD Sensor
* 5x Optical Zoom (28-140mm equivalent)
* 2.8″ Tilt/Swivel LCD
* Manual Exposure Control
* 720p HD Video Capture
* Optical Image Stabilization
* In-camera HDR Mode

In essence, the G12 is to the Canon PowerShot S95 what the G11 is to the S90 – its bigger, stronger cousin. One of the major criticisms of recent Canon G-Series cameras has been remedied with the introduction of the G12 – the ability to capture HD video. And, while captured video is only the 720p flavor at best, it should be much better than the VGA-resolution video found in the G11.

My best guess at pricing and availability would be $499 and available in September/October. Of course, we’ll have the full specs, price and availability dates once that G12 is officially unveiled.

[via Canon Rumors]

The new S95, on the Canon USA site does have HD video, 720i, camera should be out soon, there is a housing, the DC-38, others will follow as quickly as possible, I imagine the G12 will have similar features since the imaging engine and sensor is shared between these two cameras.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom