Canon G15 - everything you need to know is here :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tafflad is correct on this, the nice thing about setting white balance when you think about it (I often use a patch of sand, or some coral, I'm not anal enough to carry a white slate) is that any video you shoot will in fact be correct, plus you'll get a better sense on the back of the camera what's happening, and sometimes won't need to tweak in lightroom as much.

Others are also correct in that what the WB does in Raw is to set the default colour correction, you can do any further correction in lightroom (or photoshop or canon software) and that will be no different than if it had been set correctly in the camera. What I generally do is set the quick access button to let me get to the white balance settings, then I sue the two customs for near (in range of the flashes) And far (out of range of the flash/video) and can switch between them. Then I set the C1 and C2 on the mode dial for Raw/Program and Raw/Av and switch between them as I wish.

That said, I do not fixate on always setting my balances, because I'm in RAW if I'm in a shooting frenzy then whatever I know I Can correct later, but if I can get it right there I do.

As for the other person who asked about differences between a G9 and a G15, I made this switch and the biggest plus I have to say is much lower noise at higher ISOs, letting me get great shots at 400 without the noise. The dedicated video button is awesome, but it wouldn't have made me upgrade housing and camera, the high ISO perf did. I honestly really wanted the bigger sensor of the G1X but the slower focusing and less capable macro pushed me back to the G15. The side benefit is the G15 is a really awesome carry around land camera that I use most of the time. Now a days my most used cameras are my Phone, my G15 and then my SLR (7D with a variety of lenses), but I only use the SLR if I'm really going for shots, most trips I just take the G15 it's really that good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom