Canon G15 UW setting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mostly I use P or Tv, or Av and control things from there, I usually manually set ISO as well. I just figured out you can get slower shutter speeds with the external wired flash by turning on slow sync in the menus, haven't tried it underwater but it could work well (some folks disagree so my recommendation is to try it).

Slowing the shutter down isnt the problem.. having the stability under water to not just get a blur is :p

I just came back from Bonaire and took about 500 pics with the G15. First the 1080p video is amazing. I used a ton of different setting UW and over all wasn't overly impressed with the g15 upgrade from the g10. They g10 took almost the same picture quality. The UW macro settng in the g15 was terrible. It had a hard time focusing. So I just used the regular macro setting in Program mode with my own UW setting. That seemed to work a little bit better. But the macro feature on this camera still does not seem to be as good as the g10 or g11. Hopefully after a few hundreed more pics I can work out the bugs and figure it out.

I just came back from Bonaire and took about 500 pics with the G15. First the 1080p video is amazing. I used a ton of different setting UW and over all wasn't overly impressed with the g15 upgrade from the g10. They g10 took almost the same picture quality. The UW macro settng in the g15 was terrible. It had a hard time focusing. So I just used the regular macro setting in Program mode with my own UW setting. That seemed to work a little bit better. But the macro feature on this camera still does not seem to be as good as the g10 or g11. Hopefully after a few hundreed more pics I can work out the bugs and figure it out.

Interesting, my biggest problem with Macro is less about the camera and more about holding position near the subject while taking the shot, when I manage to do it well (low current usually) I can get some really nice shots, but definitely harder then on land.

I misspoke above when I said slower shutter speeds, what I actually meant is the shutter speed can vary from the sync speed, which normally doesn't happen if Slow Sync isn't on. See the other thread on this topic.

Compact camera focus mechanism work on contrast detection so you need sufficient light for the camera to focus
The macro setting of the camera only shorten the minimum working distance but does not improve matters if there is not enough light to focus
Canon compacts are good but not amazing at focus so for macro you may want to get a focus light and ensure you are working with center focus on a small area as obviously the multiple point focus is not going to work at all

Compact camera focus mechanism work on contrast detection so you need sufficient light for the camera to focus
The macro setting of the camera only shorten the minimum working distance but does not improve matters if there is not enough light to focus
Canon compacts are good but not amazing at focus so for macro you may want to get a focus light and ensure you are working with center focus on a small area as obviously the multiple point focus is not going to work at all

+1

Also, you can center focus, and then recompose your shot to your liking. You also want to turn macro focus off for some wet lenses. You'll know when you need to do this because it will hunt for focus with macro on. Turn it off, and it will focus close-in just fine.

I just did a week of diving in Aruba, dives where very nice. Loved the G15. My kit was g15, fantasea fg15 case, 2 z240 inon stobes and sola 1200 dive/photo light. The sola was critical in getting the camera to focus very quickly. the 2 strobes really captured the reds.

here are my settings for most pictures,
aperture mode,
iso 100
exposure -.3
metering: evaluative
spot ae point: af point
underwater white balance
flexizone
flash intensity: high

TugBoat_32.JPG

Antilla_10.JPG
Antilla_81.JPG
Airplane_30.JPG
Antilla_119.JPG

Just came back from two weeks in Yap and Palau, my setup

Canon G15
Ikeltie housing
Ikelite 160 strobe one side 161 the other (These lights have aiming/modeling (video on 161) in them to help aiming, and they nicely turn of those lights when the strobe fires so you don't get a bright spot)
Ultralight arms
Ikelite WD-4 wide angle port

I use custom balance underwater and mostly just use program mode at 200-400 iso depending on how deep/dark it was. I got some really great results with this setup and highly recommend it. In addition I was easily getting 3 hours of diving out of the battery on my G15 as I wasn't firing internal strobes. The 160/161 lasted two to three days (Three dives a day on average) from the NiMH battery and 4-5 for the LiON

some quick photos that I happen to already have converted, I'm still busy working through them all:

Sarin - Canon PowerShot G15-08-44-June 28, 2013-1790.jpg
Sarin - Canon PowerShot G15-08-52-June 27, 2013-1591.jpg
Sarin - Canon PowerShot G15-09-49-June 26, 2013-1433.jpg
Sarin - Canon PowerShot G15-09-57-July 05, 2013-2882.jpg
Sarin - Canon PowerShot G15-13-01-July 01, 2013-2299.jpg
Sarin - Canon PowerShot G15-15-06-June 24, 2013-1214.jpg
Sarin - Canon PowerShot G15-16-00-July 02, 2013-2590.jpg
Sarin - Canon PowerShot G15-18-31-June 27, 2013-1750.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom