Canon G16 wide angle lens suggestions - Meikon housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would Canons S110, S120 not have the same vignetting problem as G16? They both have a 5.2-26 mm lens vs a 6.1-30.5 lens on the G15/G16... Is that enough of a difference?

As the S series only have a 4x zoom to 100 they work fine with traditional wet lenses when step zoomed to 28mm or 35mm
The G series with their 5x always had issues, only option a recsea housing selling at $1250 for the G11/12 with a dry wet lens that had fisheye, expensive set up

Other than RX100 and Lumix LX7, which one would you say would be a better choice for accomplishing the following two main objectives: ambient/low light video and wide angle pictures/video (with a WA lens):

(1) Canon S120 , F1.8-5.7, 24-120 mm equivalent (4x)
(2) Olympus XZ-2, F1.8-2.5, 28-112 mm equivalent (4x)

The S120 is marginally better than the XZ2 in low light
If you are on a budget the Olympus housing PT-054 can take the inon lenses screwed directly on for the canon housing you need an Inon adapter that adds to the cost
Both camera will need the same Inon lens for wide angle

Thx. Your advice is truly appreciated...
Last question: Any good WA options for S120 + Ikelite housing?

For Ikelite the best is to get Inon UWL-H100 Type1 as the port is recessed
Other lenses will vignette much more
The Ikelite housing does not offer any significant improvements over the canon except the deeper rating and there have been many reports of problems since the S100 with the ikelite small housing formats
Better option from an agility point of view is the bayonet mount of the Inon attachment for the canon housing as the lens is heavy

You can do ambient WA on the G15/G16 with the Inon lens mentioned above, but if that's something you want to focus on, I'd follow Interceptor's advice and go with something else. I went with the G15 because I do mostly close-in and macro shooting, and I prefer Canons, but their WA performance is mediocre at best, and expensive to get even that. The S-series cameras have batteries that don't last very long, or I'd jump on on.

I'd probably look very hard at the Lumix LX7 if I was in the market for another compact camera.

Nope you need the zoom lenses as per my previous and the Fantasea housing hasn't even got an m67 adapter

Not sure if this is incorrect due to date it was posted, but the Fantasea FG16 housing does have an M67 adapter, (called 'eyedaptaer M67) been looking at one on w/end:

No it is a Fantasea product so would assume it matches housing well .... but I have no personal experience of this, just mentioning the option, as the comment was that there was not such an item.
Of course it also depends on how big an external 3rd party lens you wish to add.

Back
Top Bottom