Canon G1X

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, I got my new WP-DC 44 for the G1X yesterday, if someone is interested to see photos please say it than I will try to post some.

Jim,
The first thing I thought when I heard about the G1X is "Does it have ETTL in manual mode". I'm very sad to hear that it doesn't. I've been using CHDK to force support ever since I got my G12. Where did you get confirmation that it does not support it in manual mode?

Nathan

Jim,
Yes CHDK allows you to do e-TTL in manual mode. The only draw (Other than having to configure CHDK) back is that you cannot set the exposure compensation. Well, you can set it but the image processor ignores it. So I use the TTL then do the exposure compensation in Lightroom. Definitely reduced the number of shots it took me to get a well exposed shot. Every G series owner I've met on dive trips has been quite envious. :)

I'm still really miffed about this in the G1X. This is ridiculous. The TTL support is one of the main reasons I bought the G12. I was quite disappointed when I found out that one gotcha.

Thanks for the link to the manual. The US one is not up yet. Apparently they are a little ahead of the curve abroad.

Nathan

Jim,
Yes CHDK allows you to do e-TTL in manual mode. The only draw (Other than having to configure CHDK) back is that you cannot set the exposure compensation. Well, you can set it but the image processor ignores it. So I use the TTL then do the exposure compensation in Lightroom. Definitely reduced the number of shots it took me to get a well exposed shot. Every G series owner I've met on dive trips has been quite envious. :)

I'm still really miffed about this in the G1X. This is ridiculous. The TTL support is one of the main reasons I bought the G12. I was quite disappointed when I found out that one gotcha.

Thanks for the link to the manual. The US one is not up yet. Apparently they are a little ahead of the curve abroad.

Nathan

Yes I've been checking the Canon site, calling customer support etc. Luckily enough digging and I was able to find the manual overseas. Interesting about CHDK...I'll have to look into it.

Now my only other beef. Assuming the G1X uses the WD-4 Dome lens from ikelite, this only restores the maximum wide angle to 28mm. My current rig uses their W-20 lens and gets me under 20mm. However, since this camera is so radically different sensor wise etc. I'm wondering if this camera will work with the WD-4. Two things I must have this time around...full e-TTL and at least equal focal length at wide angle.

So with CHDK, it will expose for a "proper exposure" every time but you're saying if you want to tell it you want to purposfully underexpose or overexpose it, I'll need to use lightroom?

Thanks for the input!
Jim

Now my only other beef. Assuming the G1X uses the WD-4 Dome lens from ikelite, this only restores the maximum wide angle to 28mm. My current rig uses their W-20 lens and gets me under 20mm. However, since this camera is so radically different sensor wise etc. I'm wondering if this camera will work with the WD-4. Two things I must have this time around...full e-TTL and at least equal focal length at wide angle. Jim

I can't see how the WD-4 would work on the Ikelite housing for the G1X. If you look at attached photo

as well at the large port end on the Canon WP-DC44 OEM housing shown here..

Canon WP-DC44 Waterproof Case For PowerShot G1 X 5969B001 B&H

I have a feeling we will all see a very different (and not so small) housing from Ikelite for the G1X than the previous G-series, that is if they decide to support it at all. I think it will be quite a bit bigger in size (since the camera is bigger) and the port seems like it will have to be much larger in diameter (for vignetting) as well longer in length if you take in the zoom length shown in the attachment. Maybe they will have a removable port like the DSLR's use (that would be nice).

Just my thoughts..

Attachments

• top-on-tele.jpg
    top-on-tele.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 845
oh well the specs for the actual focus distance and magnification are out
and they show no real macro opportunity for this camera underwater
except in conjunction with very high quality +10 diopters add-on at its maximum tele ranges:
---maximum magnification between 0.07% and 0.08% check the link at
Canon PowerShot G1 X Preview: 3. Body and Design: Digital Photography Review
with a +10 and 110mm it may get about 1:4 magnification as a quick estimation I think... so not very good... :((

not sure what the DPREVIEW article did but if you calculate magnification at less than 112 but toward 110mm the minimum focus distance drops to 70cm (from 85cm). Recalculating it would mean around 0.1x native magnification. Adding a + 10 diopter the magnification is a reasonable 0.7x. And finally adjusting to the cropped sensor you get about a 2cm subject to fill the sensor. That is actually reasonable for nudibranch and the like...!
However I am wondering what gives a good 10+ diopter addon effect on a wet lens.

Now I am worried it might be harder to find a good wide angle add-on lens with the huge protuberance in the case required by the extending lens...

Now I am worried it might be harder to find a good wide angle add-on lens with the huge protuberance in the case required by the extending lens...

I've tried to find a picture of the G12 like the one I posted above but can't, even on DPReview, where the above photo came from.

Looking at my G12 with the lens extended and comparing it to the photo of the G1X the lens on the G1X is HUGE (long). Just the ring alone is about 3 times as thick as the ring on the G12. Plus, if you are going to use a slave strobe that triggers from the internal flash on the G1X the housing has to be tall enough for the flash to remain in the popped up position.

It's going to be interesting to see what the housings for the G1X will end up looking like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom