Canon G3 for Christmas-now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FAW

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

got a G3 new for Christmas. Very nice camera, but just barely learning how to use it--am new to digital and not a pro at cameras to begin with.

My question is this: for around $650 I can buy a film MMII w/Strobe from LP on the net. LP also has a few Ikelite housings for the G3 left for $600. However, won't I need a strobe too? And isn't that a bunch more money that the MMII rig?

I've read many of the comparisons on here of digital vs. film and see the benefits of digital, but am balking at the cost of the housing AND the strobe. Heck, I don't even know if the Ikelite housing accommodates a strobe and if it does which strobe to get and how many parts and pieces I'll need.

I thank you much in advance for any advice you can provide. I need to decide soon because the LP offering of the G3 housing states their supply is low and I think their $600 price is much lower than regular retail.

FAW

Check to see if Canon makes a housing for the G3, Ikelite may not be your only choice.

I upgraded from a MMII w/strobe to my first digital and I can't honestly recommend the MMII to start out with. It's manual focus and until you get very, very good at judging distances underwater, you'll have a hard time getting crisp focus. The additional costs of film, film developing and print costs will very soon add up to the difference in cost for a digital. And lastly, the ability to get the instant feedback is priceless. You can tell immediately if your shots are working, if not you can correct the problem and take more. Not have to wait until you get home and have the film developed only to find out 90% of your shots were out of focus.

Digital cameras are different from film in that they are more light sensitive, you can take some very good photos without an external strobe. My best advice would be to get the housing and add a strobe later. You'll be much happier with the results...I promise!

I shoot with a Ikelite housing for my G1. Been shooting with it for a few years and am still impressed with the quality of the housing. I like the transparent case of the Ikelite housings, you can see the O ring to make sure its sealed and if it starts to flood, you will know right away. The only bad thing is the price ($700-800) when comparing it to the canon housings for its smaller A60-A80, s400, sd100 or the s50 ($200). Canon doesn't make a housing for the G series camera's yet that I know of.

If you buy the Ikelite setup I would recommend buying the kit with the housing, arm, ds 50 strobe and TTL slave sensor. I saved a few bucks buying it all together from my reseller (about $1150).

thanks much for the quick response. i'm going to bite the bullet and buy the Ikelite housing. Say Dee, I live in the Pacific NW and dive in low light conditions, e.g. often 25 ft. vis. Can I still get some shots sans strobe you think?

FAW

I also have a G3 that I purchased a while ago. I have been thinking about a underwater housing setup, but the price is what is holding me back. The Ikelike housing etc. is more than what I paid for the camera.

Instead I was thinking about getting another digital, and housing, to use as my UW camera and save the other as my land camera, so when I go on diving vacations, I don't have to switch back and forth, risking fogging and leaking.

Back
Top Bottom