canon g9 housing diffuser woes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure if this description translates from my head to the keys very well, but here goes.

Drill a hole at the bottom of the diffuser on each side:

One on the left side that protrudes down a little bit around the lens barrel and one on the right side on the part that protrudes all the way around the lens barrel.

Tie a knot at the end of a piece of bungie cord (1/8"?) and feed the bungie through one of the holes.

Feed it through the other hole and stretch to the tension you want and tie it off.

You should end up with a nice retainer that holds the diffuser snug against the lens barrel along the bottom.

I know a picture would work better, but it is what it is.

Bill

Not sure if this description translates from my head to the keys very well, but here goes.

Drill a hole at the bottom of the diffuser on each side:

One on the left side that protrudes down a little bit around the lens barrel and one on the right side on the part that protrudes all the way around the lens barrel.

Tie a knot at the end of a piece of bungie cord (1/8"?) and feed the bungie through one of the holes.

Feed it through the other hole and stretch to the tension you want and tie it off.

You should end up with a nice retainer that holds the diffuser snug against the lens barrel along the bottom.

I know a picture would work better, but it is what it is.

Bill

Thanks Bill but thats exactly what I did when I mentioned in my original post about the elastic band around the port. It probably would have worked ok but the original groove that the diffuser snaps into is so gunked up from my previous glue attempts that the bungie does not really work either.

Have you tried something simple like silicon?

Edit: damn, I should read better...you already tried that!

Last edited:
If gluing to the polycarbonate is working but gluing to the diffuser is not, the only other thought I have would involve screwing intermediary blocks to the back of the diffuser and then gluing these intermediaries to the housing. I.e., cut a couple small blocks of clear plastic, say 1/4" x 1/4" x 3/4" long and carve out one face to where they will fit the curvature of the lens cover on the housing. Screw these blocks onto the back side of the diffuser near the ends then glue the blocks to the housing. A better solution might be to cut a piece of 3/16" clear acrylic to match the profile of the diffuser, bonding the two together and then epoxying the edge of the acrylic to the housing.

If gluing to the polycarbonate is working but gluing to the diffuser is not, the only other thought I have would involve screwing intermediary blocks to the back of the diffuser and then gluing these intermediaries to the housing. I.e., cut a couple small blocks of clear plastic, say 1/4" x 1/4" x 3/4" long and carve out one face to where they will fit the curvature of the lens cover on the housing. Screw these blocks onto the back side of the diffuser near the ends then glue the blocks to the housing. A better solution might be to cut a piece of 3/16" clear acrylic to match the profile of the diffuser, bonding the two together and then epoxying the edge of the acrylic to the housing.

Flareside I believe you may have hit on a solution here!

IMG_20130826_185857_769.jpgOne last try before I try one of Flaresides ideas. The bungie didnt work but how about zip ties?? I made them pretty tight I hope I didnt distort the housing and cause it to leak!

How about duct tape? You now have your choice of colors.:wink: My recommendation is to position the diffuser as you want it, apply a minimal amount of duct tape, then place the UW case with diffuser attached in the hot sun for a while. The duct tape adhesive will become nice and gooey. You'll be set for the life of the case, or until the goo becomes powdery. If the latter, clean and re-apply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom