Canon G9 + WP-DC21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Martin

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
1:

I am looking around for a good flash system, for a somewhat resonable price.

My absolute maximum is 1000 dollars for a complete system I can connect to my canon housing.

It seems like a jungle of strobes out there, so I am hoping that someone can give me some recommendations and maybe some ideas of what to stay away from.

2:

Ive seen some 67mm thread adapters to attach to the canon housing. Anyone know where to buy these, and will the picture quality be ok with wetlenses this way.

Thanks in advance :)

1. goto Digital Diver.net and use their strobe finder. Buy one external strobe and stick with it. Model depends on preferred photo subject i.e wide-angle or macro. Start with adaptor lens.
2. 67mm is a common size for adaptor lenses, BUT I have seen something about Canon housing not round/adaptable, maybe limited to Canon lens? Not good. I am shooting with Inon 100 adaptor its fine.

If you really want to roll up your sleeves on the lens adapter you can consider creating your own adapter.

Search for "Canon G9 & G7 housing - DIY 67mm lens adapter, Canon housing WP-DC 21 & 11 filter thread" at wetpixel.com for BrianM's modification. This worked great for me (though you should be sure to buy a couple step up rings as you're bound to screw it up once or twice)

as far as wide angle is concerned, it is my understanding that the only housing that will work with a wide angle lens is the Ikelite housing. The canon housing has too long of a lens port and by the time you've zoomed enough to get past the lens vignetting, you have lost all of the wide-angle advantage... trust me, I tried this already.

The adapter you found will only work for macro lenses because it does nothing to shorten the lens port of the canon housing. BrianM's modification is the exact same... will not work with wide angle (BUT it just GREAT with macro!).

Back
Top Bottom