Canon HV30 with Equinox Pro 6 housing Eval.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats very kind of you! I'll go ahead and test the 2.5" LCD when it arrives, but I presume I'll get tired of the size. I'll PM you and see how progress is going on your new project =)

One question, do you really have to mill a groove for the whole screen on the face plate, can't it be attached using some sort of bracket or frame?

Also, have you considered the option of creating an external screen in an acrylic frame?

Regards

/Peter

Thats very kind of you! I'll go ahead and test the 2.5" LCD when it arrives, but I presume I'll get tired of the size. I'll PM you and see how progress is going on your new project =)

One question, do you really have to mill a groove for the whole screen on the face plate, can't it be attached using some sort of bracket or frame?

Also, have you considered the option of creating an external screen in an acrylic frame?

Regards

/Peter

The thing that bugged me about the 2.5" lcd (and I never took it down) is not the size as much as the resolution. I guess it's not that bad if you're just framing your shot but if you have to manual focus it's useless. My current 5" is better but still not high enough for what I need. If you don't need to manual focus then my current 5" is perfect. The reason why I recessed the screen in the port was to make space for the LCD battery plus my camera's eyepiece goes almost to the back port and I wanted to get tricky with it :D.

I thought about creating an external monitor but came to the realization that I don't trust myself to make an entire box water tight and able to withstand pressure down to 6 atmospheres.

I got a call back yesterday from another LCD manufacturer and I'm planning on ordering it this week, it's a lot more expensive than the current one though, about 3x the price.

Billy

Please keep us updated!

I just ordered the Salvo twin 21W HID lights and arms for the housing. Going to 50W or even 35W would perhaps be a bit mutch in our turbid waters. What setup do you use?

Billy, I just recieved my LCD but I got the mini plug in stead of the female RCA as I originally ordered. As I have a 110V charger, I can't test it yet, so Im asking you if the mini plug works?

Regards

Peter

Beware the 2.5" monitor back for the Equinox Pro 6 or HD6 housing for the Canon HV30.

I just purchased the Canon HV30 / Equinox HD6 housing package from B&H Photo along with the 2.5" monitor back and many other accesories (extra batteries, tapes, chargers, pelican case, etc) for a total cost of about $3000.

One of the screwheads of the screws that secure the 2.5" monitor bracket to the inside of the clear plastic endplate is directly in line with the camera mounting plate. This causes them to contact one another and prevent a watertight seal. My $3000 investment was ruined and never made it any deeper than two feet in the camera bucket on the boat on the first intended dive. Never even saw salt water.

Both B&H and Equinox (Wet N Rugged Sports) refuse to do the right thing and refund my complete purchase. After two weeks of email ping pong, they offer only to allow me to return the housing. I missed recording the dad & son scuba trip I gave my son as a graduation gift, am $3000 poorer, and all I have is I pile of junk purchased as an underwater video package they claim is not warranteed because it was submerged!

I strongly suggest finding a more reputable manufacturer, and do not buy from B&H.

I will be posting my detailed complaint hopefully with pics and maybe video, but I saw your post and had to warm you to beware the 6" diameter 2.5" Equinox monitor back could have the same design flaw as mine and REALLY cost you dearly.

Please be careful & test it well without the camera at first.

Good luck-
Bruce in Chicago

B&H regret's Bruce's dissatisfaction and I sympathize with his disappointment. I have e-mailed Equinox asking them to contact him as he says they promised to do. It is possible their emails to him were waylaid by a spam filter, of course.

B&H certainly did not walk away from the issue. Our return policy is quite specific and clearly states, "No Return/Exchange On ... Underwater equipment that has been submerged." We directed Bruce to Equinox as was appropriate under the circumstances.

It's also worth noting that Bruce's complaint is the only one we've received for this housing all year. The other approximately 2 dozen customers have registered no complaints with us whatsoever.

We ARE sorry for the situation, but I do not feel we deserve this disapprobation.

SEE ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forums and Social Network > Scuba Diving Central > Underwater Photography > The Canon Corner
Equinox Housing for Canon HV30

There is an Equinox reply there also. The B&H reply above is verbatim to the other thread so I also copy my reply to the other thread as well....
=======================================================================

Nice replies guys, I think there could be places for both of you on the Obama campaign staff. Great spin control. Now how about some action?

FIRST B&H
========
B&H NEVER supplied their return policy or the other terms and conditions they NOW quote well after the deal was made. Unfortunately, the transaction is consummated upon consideration, and B&H had my money well before they ever disclosed the "surprise" Ts & Cs. Thus the deal was made WITHOUT those terms and conditions in effect.

Can I add some of my own Terms and Conditions after the fact too? Hmmm, gee, if this equipment sucks, and the customer service people I have to deal with are complete idiots, you refund me 10 times my cost. There I said that too, does that make it so after the fact? Not likely. Won't work for you either.

But I may just get actual costs plus damages due to detrimental reliance on your representations. If you force me to keep this equipment and just replace the housing so it now works as you represented, I am sure you won't mind flying me and my son back down to the Bahamas for 10 days so I can film this special event with equipment that actually works as represented? If not, I want the cash and interest back, and I will buy current equipment next year before my next dive trip.

The Terms and Conditions appear on the back of the shipping receipts that were sent when B&H shipped the order (more than a week after they had my money). They were NOT on the emailed quote. They were NOT on the emailed order confirmation. These Ts & Cs were not mentioned on the phone. They did of course have time to sell quite a number of additional accessories that I now have no use for. Does that help clarify B&H's priorities? Dollars before all else.

B&H sent me to (this is a quote from their customer service email):
At this point you need to contact both manufacturers and see how to have your specific requests fulfilled.
Equinox (Distributed By - Wet n Rugged) Web: Wet n Rugged - SCUBA, Kayaks, Travel, Underwater Photo Phone: 269-381-2101
Canon Web: Canon U.S.A Phone: 800-828-4040 or 800-652-2666

When I specifically asked B&H for an Equinox 800 number I was told there was not one. I asked that B&H have Equinox call me. I was told I HAD to call those numbers. I did, Sam says I spoke to him, but I never got anything other than an auto reply in return. I will post those emails in my detailed post with the video clip of the housing / monitor back seal you can slide a nickel through.

B&H can try to defend their actions, but I am absolutely certain that Henry Posner has not reviewed the actual history of this issue. And when (if) he or someone beyond level 1 customer service does they will sugarcoat some nice reply so more suckers like me get taken. Thus far, not a single person at B&H that has ANY clue about underwater video equipment has engaged the issue.

B&H will only consider the return of the housing. The monitor back (the other half of the problem) will not be refunded. Why? NO explanation from B&H customer support. I asked, they said, no, only the housing. Henry claims no one else has had an issue with these housings. Has anyone else used this housing with the monitor back? Try apples to apples Henry.

B&H will not refund the spare battery for the monitor back. None of the other accessories that I now have no use for will be refunded either. A huge pelican case to fit a housing I will not own is mine forever for a not so small price? This is fair? Do you ever want to be treated like this?

B&H sold the PACKAGE of the cam and the housing with the representation that it was water proof to 200' (250' in some representations). It was not the least bit waterproof, thus the representation might be considered fraud unless they refund my ENTIRE purchase.

My documented messages regarding this purchase clearly explain to B&H that this was an “everything or nothing” transaction. I needed all parts on time for this trip, or none. B&H knew those terms, and chose to continue the transaction. Thus if the housing is to be refunded, the entire purchase must be.

My attorney is already reviewing this, and has very little doubt of the outcome. I believe upon reviewing the many many pages of documentation, "unassailable" was the term he used. He had also advised me to allow B&H reasonable opportunity to make this right without such a course of action necessary. I think the weeks I have given B&H is more than reasonable. I have requested contact information for the B&H legal department four separate times, and this request continues to be completely ignored.

Henry, you should short circuit this and call me directly to genuinely attempt to resolve this issue. I notice you want everyone else to do that for you.

EQUINOX
=======
Sam, if you are the person I spoke to on the phone as your post states, where is my return shipping label? Or ANY response from you via normal channels for that matter? I gave you my email and my phone contact numbers. Do people have to publicly air their grievance in an agitated manner to get a reply from you?

Oh yeah, the spam filter got the replies...interesting that the auto spam Equinox reply managed to get here. For the record, there is nothing from you in my SPAM folder either.

I never said you want housings that do not work on the market. But you have done nothing to correct the issue since I contacted you on June 25th.

This is a joke. If B&H did the right thing, they would refund my money, and deal with THEIR suppliers after the fact. Now we get to involve the attorneys and add a ridiculous amount of additional time and cost.

Be advised, this will not end until I have my entire purchase price plus interest accrued refunded at a minimum.

Bruce DeDivitis
bruce.dedivitis@gmail.com

Attachments

• Wet n Rugged Equinox Emails.pdf
    13.7 KB · Views: 73
Bruce,

I guess I don't understand, by the sounds of it you are anxious to do the legal thing with B&H. May I ask you, What do you want us to do? (Equinox)

You said you called and we spoke on the 25th of june, this is the 8th business day. With the holiday you should have received your PREPAID label yesterday or today.

At no point did I say any email went to spam, there was no email received from you to go into spam. We do not have an auto reply email..sorry. I look forward to posting of these auto-replies cause I have never seen one or used one.

Like I said previously I understand your frustration....you have a warranty issue once I sent the PREPAID label it is now your responsibility to box the unit up safely and simply give it to any ups driver and it comes here for evaluation and replacement.

It is unfortunate that the first time you assembled your housing was on the dive boat, we all expect things to work properly but if due diligence is done by assembling your unit prior to on the dive boat we would have been more than happy to send a replacement monitor to your home or even the Bahamas, we have done things like that before. A hole big enough to slide a nickle through seems like it would be very obvious.

Could you also provide purchase date of unit and the date you left for your trip for our records. I have no warranty card on file, you were instructed in your assembly instructions to please send that in. No worries we will still honor the warranty even though that wasn't done yet.

Here at Equinox we honor the warranty that we provide, we feel we have done our due diligence in responding to your matter in a timely fashion and telling you that if it is our fault the unit leaked we will replace all underwater equipment at no charge to you.

Please explain to me what else we can do, we provide a warranty and we honor it.

We have sent you the label and I have asked you to call me collect or by our 800 number, we have received no call.

What more can we do. I would like to resolve this issue on our end, verbal attacks and misrepresentation of us to the diving community will not speed this situation up and quite possibly slow it down. Lets take care of this the right way, we are doing business in an honorable way we ask that both parties act responsibly to achieve resolution to this unfortunate issue.

I would also like it to be known that B&H is THE leader in underwater camera and housing sales in our industry and has always acted in a responsible and positive manner. It is unfortunate that this issue happened, over the past 3 years B&H has sold hundreds of wonderful working Equinox housings and many lcd backs and there have been no problems.

I will not be involved in any more insulting exchanges, we honor our warranty and that is that. Send the unit back and we will make it right.

Please feel free to contact us by sales@equinoxhousings.com, (888)438-8943 toll free or 269.381.2101

We look forward to resolving this issue for you.

Best regards,

Sam Gates
Equinox HOusings

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom