Canon S100 - Ikelite Housing - YS-01 Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thewigster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys,

Very new to underwater photography. I have the Canon S100 and Ikelite housing last year and taken some basic but fun pics in the UK.
Being the UK ive just purchased a S&S YS-01 strobe with Fantasea Blueray Single Tray (awaiting delivery).

I know the S100 doesn't do TTL, so ive added CHDK and about to start toying with interceptors TTL script.

Any hints and tips on a general way to have this set up with TTL? (not into macro at the moment), just general pics of fish and wrecks for the moment.

Also, should I start looking into a wide angle lens as un upgrade? (or anything else that maybe adding to this combination)

Thanks

Dave

Quick update:
Just received my Ys-01 and playing around with things. I can get TTL on the strobe to fire in AV/TV etc but not in Manual. I have CHDK installed and interceptor121's ttl on-off script installed (autostart for the time being). However i cant seem to get the strobe to fire in TTL this way.

If correct, i can see the script start up when i turn on the camera, i press ALT (play button) and press shutter to turn on camera into shoot mode. Is this correct? (fy i have flash on, manual mode, strobe set to ttl and max power, red eye off). Black insulation tape on outside (which i will now put on inside and not cover up the Fibre Optic square bit.

Also from lots of reading here, TTL should only be used for close up photos (say up to 24 inches????) UK vis isnt that good here :(
Should i be using a wet lens for something say within 3 or 4 feet?

Ta

Dave

The photo below is shot with my set up at a distance of probably 3'ish maybe more. Far enough away to get my whole body in it. I suggest checking some forums for the best camera settings to utilize your accessories. Blue Water and Backscatter are both sources I use. Up close photos are MUCH better. If you can fill your frame and get your lighting right you can get excellent shots with this outfit. :wink:

IMG_2560.jpgHi Dave, I am shooting the Canon S100 with and a YS-01 strobe. I use TTL on mine and do fine with it. More distance between you and your subject means less light plain and simple. I use TTL on all my shots. I have only been doing this since last May, so I am new. But this has been my experience. If you want to shoot from a farther distance have have more light you may have to invest in a second and brighter strobe. Personally I'd play with it first. Also you may want to check around for suggested camera settings to get the most from your shots. I buy from Backscatter and Blue Water. Both have been excellent sources of information. Try searching their sites for under water setting for Canon S100 or compact cameras to see what you get. Good Luck !

Hi Mermoose, thanks for the feedback (sorry for the delay in replying).

Will check out those websites for info and see what i can find. May take me a few years to get better at this but the S100 and YS-01 strobe should be a good starting point for me for a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom