Canon S400 Powershot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sooner1

Reaction score
I bought my wife the S400 Powershot for Christmas with the underwater housing. I've been using a Sealife Reefmaster for the last few years. I don't have a strobe and haven't been very successful below 40' with good color pictures. However, that may be my fault. My wife is not a diver but an avid snorkeler and wants to use the Canon for pictures while snorkeling. Just for travel convenience should I ditch the Reefmaster and just use her Canon or is it worth investing in a strobe? Also, I haven't found any strobes for the Canon. I am on a budget and would rather buy 1 strobe if that's all I need. Is that an option with the Canon?

Here is my
32.gif

If I am not mistaken your Canon housing has a flash diffuser on it. This should allow you to take good photos at less than 3 feet. However, an external strobe will always enhance the photos but not give you much more distance.
I am a firm believer in knowing ones camera/housing inside and out so as to get the most out of it. This includes using manual F stops and shutter speeds, manual white balance when not using the strobe etc.
An external strobe will cost in the area of $600. You will also need a tray and arm setup for an additional $100 to $200. Your camera/housing will require a slave strobe setup similar to the one I am using on my Olympus camera/housing. I have an Inon D-180 which uses a fiber optic cable to transmit the light from the cameras flash to the strobe. I believe it also will work for your camera/housing. The part that attaches to the housing's flash diffuser is what varies from brand to brand. Check out if one is available for your housing.
Personally, I would master using the camera w/o an external strobe before adding the task loading of the strobe. I used my camera/housing for over a year before adding a strobe.

Personally I would take things in slow steps. The Canon is a great little camera, and very convenient in size. My first dive trip with my S400 I did not have a strobe but was still very pleased with the results. I have subsequently added a small strobe, which if positioned well and if you are nice and close to your subject makes a difference. IMHO you should start by buying the housing and using it a few times, and then if you really feel a strobe would make a great deal of difference, save up and buy the best one you can afford.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom