Canon s60 shooting tips for newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dashark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,
Still playing around with my new setup for my canon s60. I am looking for the "simplest" most efective way to get decent shots. I can tweek it from there as I get used to it.
I have used it on a few dives and I am not impressed with my results (operator error I'm sure).I was shooting in RAW using the underwater mode. I have come to the conclusion that I do not wish to shoot in RAW until I am good enought to justify upgrading my editng software to one that is compliant.
Please help!
I am trying to start as simple as possible....
Thanks...
Danny

Check out post #1 in the Pink Link in my signature. It will get you started no matter what system you have. Note that the settings are for reasonably bright water; if you are shooting in dark water you will need to start by opening up the aperture one stop and/or slowing the shutter by one.

If you don't have the software to support RAW editing but DO have the software to allow you to convert to jpeg (is there such a beast?) then I would still shoot in RAW because when you do upgrade you can work on your older photos.

But RAW or jpeg, you need to get the image as right as possible underwater...and those tips will help :)

Good stuff! I'm printing it out and taking it with me to the Caymans next week. I anticipate having an easier go of it down there as opposed to the kelp forests at home.
Canon doesn't really recomend the underwater mode on my camera either. I did read on this site that you could set it in UW mode with the auto white balance setting and adjust the aperature yourself. This is what I tried the first time with little success (in dark water). do you recomend the awb setting ?
Thanks for your time....
Danny

Scratch that last question, I scrolled down the link you sent me and found the post on White Balance.
Did I read the tips correctly when you suggested always shooting in the macro setting?

For me, macro always works. Basically it tells the camera to start looking for focus closer to you and since you should always try to shoot subjects no farther than about 6 feet away macro works just fine. Experiment - happily the macro on/off on the Canon's is a single button and it's easy to switch back and forth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom