canon s80 vs sd800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been discontinued, although I have no idea why Canon still lists it as a current model. There was a discussion on WetPixel (or was it digidiver?) about the plans for a successor, but I haven't seen any firm release dates or official confirmation of features yet.

Keep your S80 safe and dry!

CompuDude:
dogatecat: It's not that Sony is not welcome here, it's just that you are in the Canon forum, so most of us reading here use Canons, so our ability to make recommendations re other cameras limited by lack of experience.

If you want opinions on the Sony camera, I recommend a new post in the Sony forum instead. :)

THAT said, if you want Canon alternatives, I have heard more good things about certain Olympus and Fuji cameras than Sony.

And finally, have you considered other Canons, or is the S80 the only one you're interested in right now? They are a bit bigger than the more compact S80, but the A series cameras are considerably less expensive, and quite well regarded. Might be worth looking into. Another thought: Canon is expected to release a successor the S80 at some point, so discontinued $800-1k cameras will not be the only option for long.
I was looking at the canon sd800... and really liked it's wide-angle lens and image stabilizer but, it lacks the manual controls. Manual controls are something I'm feeling are going to be important to me so, I ruled out the sd800 and started looking into the s80.
Haven't looked at the A series canons yet... but, I'll go puruse now.

My Sony comments were centered around the fact that scubaboard has sub-forums dedicated to Olympus, Nikon, and Canon but not Sony. So, it made me feel as though Sony's underwater prowess is not as desireable as the others. Poor Sony, never aloud to play with the other kids... :D

I'll poke around at the root of the forum for Sony advice and see what comes up.

Thanks for your help.

LOL - yeah, Sony isn't as popular as Canon, Oly and Fuji for underwater work. Their cameras tend to have a bias towards blue from my experience (something you don't need more of underwater) and also many of their models do not offer full manual controls and this is something that many users find to be a "must have" on their list when they choose. There are happy Sony users out there, though!

If you follow the pink link in my signature you will end up in a thread that's there to help people wade through the tremendous amount of information out there. It lists a bunch of various models and makes of cameras that might help you on your quest!

dogatecat:
I was looking at the canon sd800... and really liked it's wide-angle lens and image stabilizer but, it lacks the manual controls. Manual controls are something I'm feeling are going to be important to me so, I ruled out the sd800 and started looking into the s80.
Haven't looked at the A series canons yet... but, I'll go puruse now.

My Sony comments were centered around the fact that scubaboard has sub-forums dedicated to Olympus, Nikon, and Canon but not Sony. So, it made me feel as though Sony's underwater prowess is not as desireable as the others. Poor Sony, never aloud to play with the other kids... :D

I'll poke around at the root of the forum for Sony advice and see what comes up.

Thanks for your help.
There is a Canon A710is that has been getting some good press here lately that has both image stabilization and manual controls. No WA lens, however.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=14117

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom