Canon s90 & G11 underwater settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott,

Great summary although I have found in tropical conditions you can go to f6.3.

As I've posted in S90 discussions the depth of field on little sensor cameras is much more apparent and thus changing f-stop is almost not needed.

The one thing you didn't mention is if users have an Auto Sensor Ikelite AF35 the flash mode choice needs to be in TTL as the sensor mimics it exactly.

For the S90 shooting in AV mode the shutter speed won't drop below 1/60 and will increase to 1/500 the max of the S90.

Ikelite just posted a short BLOG piece I wrote today linked from the home page.

Otherwise, as usual, great info for new shooters Scott!

David Haas
David Haas Underwater Photography

I don't see how a single setting is possible or warranted. I would choose the shutter speed based on a number of things most notably the desired background exposure and the need for (or not) to eliminate blur or ghosting.

I would choose my f stop to make use of the light I have, to isolate a subject or in some case to increase cycle speed of the D2000. By using Continuous mode on the S90, f2.8 and EA mode on the D2000 with it set "match" stop, I can shoot five or six shots in rapid sequence, bam, bam, bam, such as panning a turtle swim by etc. Why f5.6 or some other arbitrary number?

I mostly don't use manual, I prefer the Av mode and only go to manual when I cannot get what I want otherwise. The S90 control ring allows me to quickly alter my exposure two full stops plus or minus and reminds me of shooting with my old Leica or Nikon FE. Using full manual is just not required for most shooting.

I also much prefer the Inon EA strobe exposure mode (Z240 and D2000), it is easy to use, fast and flexible.

I am just of a mind that if somebody needs a "setting" then they need a camera that requires no settings. JMO.

N

I got to use a Canon s90 and G11 underwater.. Based on my experiences I came up with some recommended settings.

Canon S90 & G11 Underwater Settings

Let me know if there is anything else you think I should add to the page, or if you have had different experiences.../QUOTE]

Thanks for taking the trouble to put this out there, many will appreciate the helpful starting point. Your results speak for themselves. I did go to the blog on your website and see there is a diversity of opinion on the best settings. Sometimes that can just confuse a newbie, so a safe start point is a good thing. It helps to get in the water and have some successes, then experiment to suit personal style.

I did have one question: Can you use a shutter of 1/500 with flash? That's pretty fast flash sync, compared to SLRs. I'm wondering if the setting is overridden when using flash, or the shutter is electronic or partly electronic and can do 1/500th.

P&S cameras do not have the same shutter design as an SLR and are able to sync at faster speeds. A SLR uses a focal plane shutter, the design is historically limited in sync speed. The P&S today has a leaf shutter inside or just behind the lens, a completely different design with some obvious advantages, one being the sync limitation is greatly reduced.

Again, I don't know what good a single setting would do for a person who might be shooting in the Northern Gulf (inside an oil slick) with 10 foot viz at 90 feet or in Bonaire in 125 foot viz and bright sunshine at 20 feet. I am exceedingly dubious of a single, generic "starter" setting, starting at what? Rather than a "starter" manual setting just use the Av mode and watch what the camera does and learn from the camera. I know what my camera does not do on it's own and what it does not do is choose f5.6 and 1/125 for every shot. And, the little critter is actually pretty smart turns out.

The Manual thing is way over rated. The S90 shoots nicely in Av mode and the ring controls allow you to quickly alter your exposure bias. If you want a "starter" setting then Av mode is it.

I might add, I understand why people suggest a few beginning settings and it really is good advice, I guess my concept is rather than having a few standard settings, for a beginner, let the camera do the settings. I believe and believe so only because I have been told so by some really smart people that photography is not a chemistry set or a cook book and that the greatest impact on a great photo is the composition and the story it tells and the framing, the content etc. So, my thought is to let the camera do the setting while you do the "art" and when finally automatic modes like the Canon Av mode become restrictive, well, then go to manual.

Just my thinking, YRMV

N

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the trouble to put this out there, many will appreciate the helpful starting point.

I did have one question: Can you use a shutter of 1/500 with flash? That's pretty fast flash sync, compared to SLRs. I'm wondering if the setting is overridden when using flash, or the shutter is electronic or partly electronic and can do 1/500th.

Your very welcome.

>> Can you use a shutter of 1/500 with flash?
Yes. It's an electronic shutter. 1/500th is the fastest sync speed with a flash on those cameras. Speeds faster than 1/500th (with flash) will be overridden when you actually take the shot.

I am exceedingly dubious of a single, generic "starter" setting, starting at what? Rather than a "starter" manual setting just use the Av mode and watch what the camera does and learn from the camera. I know what my camera does not do on it's own and what it does not do is choose f5.6 and 1/125 for every shot. And, the little critter is actually pretty smart turns out.

The Manual thing is way over rated. The S90 shoots nicely in Av mode and the ring controls allow you to quickly alter your exposure bias. If you want a "starter" setting then Av mode is it.

I might add, I understand why people suggest a few beginning settings and it really is good advice, I guess my concept is rather than having a few standard settings, for a beginner, let the camera do the settings.

Just my thinking, YRMV

N

One thing to keep in mind is that when you use non-TTL strobes, your exposure is likely to be thrown off by using any settings but manual. The camera compensates for the internal flash to get the right exposure, and if you use two external slave strobes, your pics may get overexposed.

Another thing I may add that could be of some help to those who use S90 and a Canon housing. If you use manual setting, the aperture is adjusted by a side wheel, while the shutter speed is set by the back wheel. The side wheel can be controlled by the housing; however, the back wheel is not. In order to change the shutter speed in this case, press the short-cut button on the back of the housing and then any of the two control buttons on either side of where the wheel supposed to be. This will change the shutter speed, so there is no need to preset on the boat prior to each dive.

Another thing I may add that could be of some help to those who use S90 and a Canon housing. If you use manual setting, the aperture is adjusted by a side wheel, while the shutter speed is set by the back wheel. The side wheel can be controlled by the housing; however, the back wheel is not. In order to change the shutter speed in this case, press the short-cut button on the back of the housing and then any of the two control buttons on either side of where the wheel supposed to be. This will change the shutter speed, so there is no need to preset on the boat prior to each dive.

Inon D2000 and Z240 have an External Auto setting that with the camera strobe set to Manual (lowest power) and the strobes in the EA mode the strobe provides the flash exposure control and works very well with the S and G series Canons in Av mode.

N

One thing to keep in mind is that when you use non-TTL strobes, your exposure is likely to be thrown off by using any settings but manual. The camera compensates for the internal flash to get the right exposure, and if you use two external slave strobes, your pics may get overexposed.

Given this statement, may I assume the G10 (because it is so much like the G11) does fire its flash in the DS-TTL mode?

I just got a YS-01 strobe, and the 100Bar optic cable . . . I cannot find anything in the manuals that say the G10 has the DS-TTL flash, but the strobe works great with it . . . (on land, not water yet).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom