canon S90 Traveling Case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the cooler I bought at Walmart in Maui. I stenciled "FRAGILE CAMERA" on the top so as to inform boat crews. Yes, it tells everyone it's a camera but telling boat crews was more important to me than worrying about someone trying to steal it. I had the red inserts made here in Bohol by a "rubber slipper" maker to pad the hard plastic insert . The front pocket is good for misc. items.
This cooler holds my G10 in the Canon housing, my tray/arms and my Sea & Sea strobe.

Hi Gilligan,

Many thanks for taking the trouble to share your pics on your cooler.

A quick comment regarding rolling gear up in clothes, towels, etc. in the carry-on. On my last trip I spent an extra 15 minutes getting through airport security as they didn't like the mixture of electronics, batteries, wires, and "organic matter" (clothing) that they saw on the x-ray screen. My dive watch was also in the bag thus adding a timing device to the mix. Needless to say, they slowly and methodically unrolled and looked at everything. Fortunately I had time to spare.

I have since picked up an ape case 1800 for my future trips such that everything they may question is separate and organized. The cooler bags noted above achieve the same ends at a much lower price. One key is to keep the bag small enough to allow it to be considered a personal item rather than your allotted carry-on as carry-ons often have to be gate checked on smaller commuter planes (in which case you may never see it again).

I haven't had any issues with my small case, note the ruler laying on it. Of course, my air travel has been USA domestic and Caribbean and Mexico. The case is much smaller than most carry on suitcases that are routinely carried by business travelers including myself when I travel on the job.

I am sure there are places where it might be an issue as pointed out. The cooler idea is good for a simple rig but it would not contain my equipment nor keep it from banging into each other and being damaged if dropped, which I have done several times, drop that case. I have a Styrofoam icebox that is cut to fit my camera which I use in my Boston Whaler. On a charter boat, I don't carry a case, I carry a towel to wrap it in and/or my small rubber mat to lay it on which fits in the bottom of my dive bag.

N

To keep bulk to a minimum I keep the camera in the housing. This is wrapped in a linen bag and put in the camera part of my backpack (a Crumpler laptop/camera backpack). This goes handheld onto the plane with me. The strobe goes in the second section next to the camera. Nothing special and no different from how I carry my SLR when on a non diving holiday/trip. It stays with me through the airport. Remember, even the Canon housing is certified (right word?) to 40m so it will tke th occasional knock. The S90 is sturdy and I treat it as I would any other compact - with care but not wrapped in cotton wool. Again, keeping it with or near you is the best solution.

On a busy boat - make sure you are first in and out of the rinse tank. That hose . . . quick blast and a mis grip and the camera is falling to the floor. Ouch. Worse than a bump against another camera housing in the rinse tank.

On a liveaborad, the camera is rinsed, dried and then goes back to my cabin out of harms way. If on a day boat - it stays with me. On a single trip boat - it gets anded up to the crew and goes into th camera basket. A good crew know that cameras and images are precious and treat them in the same way as they do you and your other diving gear.

Relax, treat it as you would any other camera and you will be fine otherwise you'll spend the whole time worrying about it, not enjoying the holiday, travel will be stressful and you won't be meeting new (lifelong) friends.

And always make sure your insurance covers loss/damage etc. Just in case.

I use the Case Logic SLR Camera/Laptop Backpack SLRC-206 for for all my camera gear and 17" MacBook Pro. I bring my backpack and my carry-on bag with all my dive gear on the plane. When I get off the plane the only thing I don't have with me is my fins. Nemrod has a nice custom foam hard case insert. Looks like a pelican, but just a guest. Try this http://www.casecad.com/.

138052_1_5.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't had any issues with my small case, note the ruler laying on it. Of course, my air travel has been USA domestic and Caribbean and Mexico. The case is much smaller than most carry on suitcases that are routinely carried by business travelers including myself when I travel on the job.

I am sure there are places where it might be an issue as pointed out. The cooler idea is good for a simple rig but it would not contain my equipment nor keep it from banging into each other and being damaged if dropped, which I have done several times, drop that case. I have a Styrofoam icebox that is cut to fit my camera which I use in my Boston Whaler. On a charter boat, I don't carry a case, I carry a towel to wrap it in and/or my small rubber mat to lay it on which fits in the bottom of my dive bag.

N

Nemrod,

Question for you. Do you carry your regulators onboard the plane with you? If so, with the hard case for your camera equipment and your regulators, how do you manage?

Also, do you mind share what hard case you are using?

Many thanks.

Nemrod,

Question for you. Do you carry your regulators onboard the plane with you? If so, with the hard case for your camera equipment and your regulators, how do you manage?

Also, do you mind share what hard case you are using?

Many thanks.

Well, sometimes yes and sometimes no. My wife is a diver and she gets a carry on also.

What good is arriving with regulators if my wing/BP and everything else is gone? I would rather get there with my camera, scuba junk is easier to replace than cameras and housings.

Besides, I could ask the same thing with the "cooler" guys, hard case or soft case, it is still the same size, volume, the only real variable is the weight, the hard cases are slightly heavier. Do you put your "regs" in the cooler with the camera?

N

Well, sometimes yes and sometimes no. My wife is a diver and she gets a carry on also.

What good is arriving with regulators if my wing/BP and everything else is gone? I would rather get there with my camera, scuba junk is easier to replace than cameras and housings.

Besides, I could ask the same thing with the "cooler" guys, hard case or soft case, it is still the same size, volume, the only real variable is the weight, the hard cases are slightly heavier. Do you put your "regs" in the cooler with the camera?

N

As a "cooler guy" :D I only put my camera gear and wrist dive computer in the cooler as carry-on. Like you said what good is part of the dive gear without the rest of it. Dive gear is easy and cheap to rent. I do have a small Pelican type case and loved it but quit using it here in the Philippines because of the 7 kilo limit.

If my dive gear got lost as check-in baggage I would only miss my Seacure customized mouthpiece :D

Had a similar question a few months ago here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...w-do-you-transport-your-p-s-rig-diveboat.html with basically the same answers.

Depending on the size of your rig, a small soft side cooler works great. I ended up with this one REI Lunch Cooler at REI.com. Basically a well padded 8-pack size, and fits fine in a backpack (my regular carryon with other stuff) for flying. If you want more padding, you can always stuff in a towel/shirt/foam/etc. It also has a small zippered side pocket, where I can store spare o-rings, lube, etc. in a ziplock bag. Works well on the boat too, and I second (third/fourth?) the wet towel suggestion for thermal regulation to minimize/prevent condensation and slow salt crystal formation. Not all boats have a camera bucket and/or a fresh water hose. Also functions as something to soak my housing in back at the hotel/home (by filling it with water) - though it has a small leak, so I wouldn't keep it filled overnight.

Back
Top Bottom