Question Basic questions regarding EM-1 mkii/OM-1 with zoom as snorkeling camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Trilobite

Trilobite

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I can't dive due to sinus issues, but am becoming an enthusiastic snorkeler. I've used the EM-1 cameras for seven years for bird and insect macro photography, but have only used the TG-4 underwater (liked it and got some good results, but looking for something more capable). So I am something of a newbie with respect to underwater photography, but I'm thinking it would be preferable to use a camera that I am already experienced with above water. I had some basic questions about using the Olympus interchangeable lens cameras underwater.

1. I want to use a single zoom lens, hopefully around 100 mm equivalent zoom. Are there cases that accommodate zoom lenses and make it easy to zoom in and out?

2. Obviously, it is hard to swim with a camera in your hand. What are the popular ways for stowing the camera in a case so you can swim?

3. Alternatives I'm considering are high-end compacts with 1 inch 20 megapixel sensors, e.g. the Canon GX 7 ii/iii or the Panasonic LX 10 (I already own the latter). Any thoughts on how these would compare to the Olympus in terms of ease of use (I already know how the image quality compares above water)?

4. Any recommendations as to lens or case? Any decent cases that accomodate both the OM-1 and the EM-1 mkii? (I currently have two of the latter, but would be hesitant to buy a case for the mkii if it doesn't fit the OM-1.)

5. Any recommendations as to accessories such as simple strobes, etc. (obviously, for snorkeling strobes are less critical than when diving).

Thanks for any help,
Jim

The OM-1 will not work in an E-M1ii housing, plus the housings are expensive. Have you considered using a smartphone in a DiveVolk or other case? Or an Olympus TG-6 with no housing, or the relatively inexpensive PT-059 housing? I suggest researching the DiveVolk ($200); it affords complete touchscreen access, and if you want to add a video light, it's easily mounted to the case. A guy named Matthias Lebo has good videos on the DiveVolk on YouTube. But if your first love is macro, the TG-6 is a sure bet--it's a remarkable little camera, dead simple to use, and waterproof without a case to 50'. You can use a lanyard to secure it inside a pocket for swimming.

The OM-1 will not work in an E-M1ii housing, plus the housings are expensive. Have you considered using a smartphone in a DiveVolk or other case? Or an Olympus TG-6 with no housing, or the relatively inexpensive PT-059 housing? I suggest researching the DiveVolk ($200); it affords complete touchscreen access, and if you want to add a video light, it's easily mounted to the case. A guy named Matthias Lebo has good videos on the DiveVolk on YouTube. But if your first love is macro, the TG-6 is a sure bet--it's a remarkable little camera, dead simple to use, and waterproof without a case to 50'. You can use a lanyard to secure it inside a pocket for swimming.
Thanks. I know the housings can be expensive. That's not a major concern. In this thread I'm really only looking for info about the OM/Oly micro 4/3rds options--not advice about what I should use. I have zero interest in using a smartphone and already know about the TG-6 (my profile picture was taken with my TG-4 btw).

There's not a housing which accommodates both the mkii and the OM-1. As to zooms, the 12-50 isn't bad, and you could probably use the 60 in the same port. (The 12-40 is better but it extends far enough to need a dome, which complicates the system.) I use Nauticam but have seen folks using both AOI and Ikelite; whatever housing you choose, a vacuum system is worthwhile. Strobe-wise, the Backscatter MF-2 is excellent.

There's not a housing which accommodates both the mkii and the OM-1. As to zooms, the 12-50 isn't bad, and you could probably use the 60 in the same port. (The 12-40 is better but it extends far enough to need a dome, which complicates the system.) I use Nauticam but have seen folks using both AOI and Ikelite; whatever housing you choose, a vacuum system is worthwhile. Strobe-wise, the Backscatter MF-2 is excellent.
Thanks! Guess I need to research domes and vacuum systems; not sure what they are.

I can't imagine trying to swim with an OM-1 or similar in a U/W housing. They are bad enough on Scuba, with floats to balance them out.

Why/how better?
Four main things, Boltsnap--aperture (at 50mm, the 12-50 is f/6.3 wide open, compared to the 12-40's constant f/2.8); acquisition and focus at the long end due to the small aperture; sharpness, overall but especially in the corners; and the need to use electronic zoom, which I've not found to be stellar, while the 12-40 zoom is old-school and with a short throw. One other thing--although I don't really understand the optical principles involved, I understand that the dome best preserves the wide-angle capabilities of the lens, while a flat port adds considerably to the field of view. Having to install the camera body in the housing before mounting the 12-40 is a negative, but I've gotten used to it.

Having to install the camera body in the housing before mounting the 12-40 is a negative,

This is strange, you put the camera body in the housing and come from the front of the housing to connect the 12-40 lens to the body?

the need to use electronic zoom, which I've not found to be stellar, while the 12-40 zoom is old-school and with a short throw.
FWIW, I was quite a lot happier with my 12-50 once a I got an (AOI) zoom ring for my (Olympus) housing. It is much better to spin the dedicated knob on the housing than to fart around with electronic zoom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom