Canon T1i goes underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pitdvr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently purchased a T1i and hope to set it up for underwater also. I plan to get the Iikelite housing, port body (5510.24) and the flat port. I have the 18-55mm lens it came with and a 50mm macro on loan. I believe this setup will work with both lenses.
I previously used a Canon a620 underwater. I loved that I could shoot scenery, zoom in for macro and quickly change to video.
Will I find this versatility with this camera?
I am new to dSLR so am not familiar with the lenses.
I will be trying to attach my single Inon strobe to this camera.
Any help would be appreciated

Congratulations I think you will find that your pics can be a lot better with this system. Unfortunately, you won't be able to do some of the things you did with the a620. First you have to realize that the 18-55 kit lens is the equivalent of 28-100 on a full frame camera. The a620 was 35-140 so when you say scenery you were not thinking wide angle. The 50 mm macro lens from Canon is only good for 1:2 or half lifesize so real macro isn't going to be available either. The video capability of the T1i is considerably better than the a620; you can shoot 720P at real frame rates. Single strobe will not be quite enough for some situations, but adding a light for video might be a great option.
Be prepared to open your wallet in the future for better macro and wide angle lenses and ports, but that is much of the fun.
Bill

Thank you. I plan to eventually buy a 100mm macro lens. What would be a good wide angle? Do I need to know what kind of pictures I plan to take on a given dive and then load the appropriate lens? So if I have a macro lens on I can't suddenly shoot a video of a bull shark? I appreciate any suggestions on lenses. (I won't always be this dumb about dSLR's!)

I would consider the RDX-500d housing for the T1i. I also think that this would be great underwater setup. The wallet will considerably lighter when finished!

Thanks, I will check that out. I am thinking of sticking with my a620 until I can get this all figured out!

pitdvr... did you have an external strobe with your A620? I am thinking about adding one and could use a little insite into if if possible.

Yes, I have a Sea & Sea YS 110 TTL strobe. Cathy Church, my underwater digital photography instructor, in Grand Caymen recommended this setup. I have been very happy with it
IMG_4358a.jpg

What would be a good wide angle? Do I need to know what kind of pictures I plan to take on a given dive and then load the appropriate lens?

You are going to really enjoy the camera. I have the 100mm macro and the 15mm fisheye as my primary two lenses. I usually ask the boat captain or DM's(if I'm boat diving) what the conditions look like before putting the ports/lenses on. If its a nice day with clear conditions the wide angle goes on, if its a site with lots of small critters and we are staying pretty much stationary then the macro lens goes on. I usually bring both port/lens setups with me.

you can also get pretty close with the 15mm fisheye and get some really nice shots. For video its a lot easier using a wide angle lens to keep the subjects in focus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom