canon underwater cases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLWeek

Contributor
Reaction score
hey i just picked up an sd630 for my play around camera and would love to take it down with me every now and again and was wondering what everyone thaught of the canon cases. they sell for like 175 on amazon and are rated at 130ft. im mostly going to use it above ground and an in water camera to take pictues of friends surfing but ya i was just wondering if the canon case is good. i know the ike housings are "the balls" but i could get another sd630 for $44 dollars more then that case costs and if i get serious about underwater i will probably get an a620 for only underwater shots and keep the sd above the water. so what do you think?

The Canon cases are very good and will fit the bill perfectly.

yeah, i agree. I have 1 and know several people that have one. As long as you're careful, they shouldn't ever leak on you. There is _always_ that risk though, so don't think it isn't a possibility even if you were careful.

Good cases, but don't take them beach diving. It's literally impossible to get sand out of the hinges.

CompuDude:
Good cases, but don't take them beach diving. It's literally impossible to get sand out of the hinges.

MMM...not what i wanted to hear. most of my dives are beach dives and i will be taking surf shots and whomp shots so sand will deff be there, is it really that bad or is it just going to take that much longer to clean everything post-use?

CompuDude. Interesting note. Is sand that much of an issue between UW case designs? If so, why, and which case (canon, Ikelite, etc) designs may be better than others? Thanks -- Mach

Hmm, I haven't run across this problem with my Canon housings and I have had them for many years now.

Of course, I don't put my housing down IN the sand either. It always goes from on my wrist into it's mini cooler.

I haven't noticed this to be a problem in turbulent sands areas (such as surf entry/exit) nor when I do, in fact, put the housing down on the sand underwater for whatever reason. A good rinse seems to leave me sand free.

I only have experience with two cases, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

My Canon SD550 had a Canon case. I really loved it. Didn't have the manual controls I wanted but it was small and travelled well. Lots of fun. But literally withing a month fo diving with it, probably 5 or 6 beach dives, I noticed stuff in the hinges I couldn't get out no matter how long I soaked it. Possibly I could have removed it if I unscrewed the hinge and disassembled the entire thing, but otherwise, those grains were INSIDE the hinge, and not going ANYWHERE without a fight. Case still worked fine, but it was more than a little unnerving to hear a crunchy sound everytime you open and close it. Note that the cases are really hard plastic, and if you know anything about screws and hard plastic, you know that frequent disassembly would kill it in short order, as the screw threads will weaken drastically each time you put new strain on them.

That camera was stolen. (See post on SB in about March or April). My new camera and case is the Canon S80 and the Ikelight shell. Camera has all the manual features I've wanted to start playing with, tho it's not as portable. That Ike case, however, is a frigging TANK. The shell is easily 3 times thicker than the Canon was at it's thinnest point. The back plate comes completely off, and is held on by two stainless steel latches that are very easy to clean. No hinges on the plastic bits. It doesn't travel nearly as well, however, and is not much fun to use out of the water, unlike the Canon.

Make your own judgment. I might actually end up picking up a Canon case if I can find a good price at some point, just for those times I might want to use it on land and when travelling (or on the deck of a moving boat, in the rain, hiking along waterfalls, etc.). But the Ike case is a serious piece of work for underwater.

You'll get good shots with either. Just keep the sand warnings in mind, and be careful with it!

cool thanks everyone just placed my order on amazon

I have had my Canon housing to over 80 feet for many many dives without any problems. Not sure I would push it much past 95 feet or so though. Most of our dives here are shore dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom