Canon vs. Epson?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ebbdiver

Registered
Reaction score
I was looking at the Epson Photo 960 based on recommendations on this board when I saw the Canon i860. This printer seems to do the same job as the Epson, but faster and it's $100 less. Anybody have any comments regarding the Canon?
Thanks.

i have the canon i850 and its unreal ..its an excellent printer that has given me better print quality then the photo lab at work..you wont be disappointed

I second what snuggle says. I had an Epson C82 for a week, the ink ran out and clogged the jets (in a week!). I returned it and bought the Canon i850, it is far better, quieter more reliable and uses less ink.. I have yet to test in in photo quality like snuggle but for all other uses, I am 100% satisfied with Canon.

and the best thing about that canon is: the ink tanks are kept separate, so if you're out of blue, you change the blue, not every color beside it. it's way more efficient. save $$. of course that's beside the insane picture quality! great deal

A friend of mine has the Epson Stylus Photo 900 which prints very nice photo quality pictures. However the inktank does not seem to last very long. I think the separate color tanks are definitely the way to go, as far as cost saving is concerned. Epson also has the Photo R300 which has separate color tanks and look quite promising.

Epson does have some new printers which have 7 separate inks. The large format one (not cheap, 600-700 bucks) is getting rave reviews. I met someone who has the smaller fromat one (can't remember the model number) and loves it. Might be worth checking out.

later

Steve

I have been using an Epson 1280 6-color inkjet for over a year now and the quality is excellent. However if you plan on really USING these injets for a lot of output- especially if it is large format and high quality ie high ink delivery then spring for a continuous inking system. This enables you to buy ink by the liter and reduces the cost per print to essentially paper cost. The inks are the same as in the cartridges. And you can get other inks if you desire for either archival properties or just for fun. The Epson cartridges were always a nuisance as regards clogging and you had to be aware of this potential or you could end up with lots of useless prints. With the CIS we have never had a clog in MONTHS of heavy duty printing. I never use the printer utility any more. The system is designed to essentially eliminate evaporation. The only pain is that you have to turn the printer off occasionally to reset the software and make it think the cartridges are full again. The CIS cost of $250 was paid back in one run of color brochures we made for a trade show.
We can print 13 x 19 or up to 13 x 38 on this machine- which makes for some fantastic panoramic shots. Next time I will go even larger. If you know what it costs to get a 16 x 20 printed you will realize that the printer cost is repaid in a handful of prints.

Do you know if that inking system is available for the Canon S9000?

My printer tends to eat it's way throuhg a fair number of ink tanks, espcially during the summer months.

Back
Top Bottom