Can't decide what Mares Quattro size to keep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amc

Reaction score
I have a pair of open heel Mares Quattro fins in size regular and small...I have pros and cons about both and cant seem to decide ... The problem is that I'm a complete rookie and I have no idea what too look for... I cant test these in the water and I could only imagine that it can change everything .... Maybe you guys/gals can help me out ... I'm a 9 1/2 sometimes 10 shoe size and using some old 3mm Tusa booties...

Size Regular "Pros.
1. Foot goes right in
2. Feels comfy almost like I'm not wearing fins
3. Foot goes in deep ( heel sticks out about 1 inch), the top of the fin pocket goes up the top of my foot nicely...
"Cons
1. I have to strap the straps all the way
2. the front of my foot can wiggle a little side to side inside the pocket

Size Small "Pros
1. Foot goes right in
2. It feels nice and snug like if my foot was part of the fin
3. It wont wiggle side to side
4. Still have about 1/4 of the straps left
"Cons
1. Foot goes a little less deep ( heel sticks out about 2 inches ) and the top of the fin pocket doesn't go as far up the top my foot (about 1 inch difference)...
2. I dont think I can wear anything thicker than these booties ( even though these old tusa's are preatty thick) maybe they can feel a little too snug after a few hours?

They both feel good in lenght but what I want is the snuggness of the small with with the fin pocket height of the regular ... Can't have but I know I can live with either one... Do to my experience is there one that is obviously the right choice? How does your Quattro feel, fit, and how far does your heel come out?
Testing them before buying should of been the right decision but is too late for that one : (

Any opinions or comments are greatly appreciated and thanks to all in advance .... AMC

What's your shoe size? Here's some food for thought; I'm a 10 1/2 shoe and I have a pair of volos, and a pair of quattros, both of which are size regular. My wife has a pair of volos, she's a 5 1/2; her volos are size XS.

The booties can make a difference, but it shouldn't be that noticeable. If you're using high heel booties, there is a possibility that the sole may be too thick. You're in Miami, and here we don't need more than 2mm booties with thin soles. Anyway, don't be alarmed if you have to tighten the straps almost to the end, but you shouldn't be tightening them too much, only enough to keep your foot secured in the fin. If there is too much of the foot sticking out of the fin, as you say your foot sticks out with the small, your straps might break sooner than you expect. Straps do break. One of the straps on my quattros broke three months after I had purchased them. IMO, keep the regular size and return the small. BTW, where did you purchase them? If you bought them at Divers Direct, you have 30 days to return them, and you can dive them and return them if you don't like them. If you didn't, there's a reason why to buy from them.

Hope this helps

Semper Safe,

Rick

Scubaguy 62 went ahead and kept the regular ones ... Couldn't hold the pressure and tried both of them in the pool... The small ones fit good but the regulars felt more secure especially on the downstroke ... Going to go ahead and give the smalls to my little bro for his birthday next month ... thanks again .. AMC

Back
Top Bottom