Can't Dive Cozumel w/o an Instructor?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PToone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm heading to Cozumel next month and my bro-in-law told me that you are not allowed to dive Cozumel without a certified Diving Instructor with you at all times in the water. (The LDS won't even fill your tank because you aren't a Cozumel Dive Instructor)

I have searched around and haven't found much information on this topic on the internet. Does anyone have some experience in this region, or know what the law is down there? I'd really like to take some shore dives and not have to pay for dive boats the whole time we are there...

Just to clear this up, since I'm sure people will 'remind' me of this...

I'm actually going with the bro-in-law that told me that you can't dive without a Cozumel Dive Master...So I don't want to dive 'alone', I just want to dive without having to pay a Cozumel DM to come with us.

According to the regulations, to dive in the Marine Park all dives must be guided by a local divemaster or instructor.

The times that I dove Coz we were sent out in groups with a Dive Master with each group. I suppose that you could make arrangements with a dive operator to take you out without one if your log book showed them that you had enough experience. Call ahead.

The Marine Park runs along the coast south of downtown San Miguel and around Punta Sur, the southern tip of the island. Cozumel is not like Bonaire, there is not a lot of shore diving. The attraction is the drift diving done offshore.

OK, I actually got ahold of a DM on Cozumel and I'll share his insight with everyone else so that you have the information too!

He said that LDS will rent you the gear and the tanks, no problem. (I heard that they wouldn't) He clarified the rule for me, he said that you can shore dive if you want (without a Cozumel DM) but the tricky part is getting to the ocean. Technically Mexico owns the water and the beach 10 meters back, after that the hotels/stores/restaurants/etc... own it. So, if you can get across the hotel's property without being stopped and get onto the beach, they can't stop you.

He said he has done it many times...sneaking past the hotels property personell and getting to the beach, once you are within the 10meter section of beach you are free to dive if you want. The only exception is to NOT sneak across Mexican Marine Park property...bad idea cause they can stop you. Although, he said the hotels have some of the best coral/beaches to shoredive from anyways.

So, I will be attempting a shoredive when I go there next month...

Scuba Club Cozumel has unlimited shore diving. You don't need a guide.

Back
Top Bottom