Can't get much better. Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underachiever

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Trip Report 3/27/2009 - 4/5/2009
Another great week of Diving on Cozumel with our friends at Scuba Mau.

The plane rides. Departure from Atlanta was delayed a little due to weather but we made up a little time and got onto Cozumel about 1:30 local time. Flight home left right on time and got back into Atlanta 30 minutes early. The luggage was waiting on the carousel both before and after customs. Very easy return home. Nice job Delta.

Margaret of Isis Rentadora had someone waiting on us at the airport and took us to the office to get the paperwork out of the way for the VW bug. A couple of e-mails to her a week before departure and she had everything ready upon arrival. Then we headed on down to the dive shop, got the gear out and turned it over to Eishi and Dennis and did not have to think about it again till time to pack up for home. It was on the boat for us each day. Thanks guys!!
Then we strolled over to LaPalapita for a couple of cold adult beverages. Margarita for Angie and a Sol for me.

The diving and service was great with Opal, Mau and the rest of the gang at Scuba Mau. The weather/wind did dictate which sites we could get to on a couple of days but the guys (Gabi and Juan) made the best choices for the conditions each day. Some of the sites we enjoyed were Tormentos, Yucab, Santa Rosa, San Francisco, Palancar Gardens, Palancar Horseshoe, Palancar Bricks, Villa Blanca Wall, Paradise, Columbia Deep, Delila. We did a total of 18 dives including a night dive and a shore dive. Angie discovered a Seahorse on our shoredive and was just tickled. First time either of us have found one ourselves. We saw several eels, turtles, nurse sharks, couple of seahorses and durning one afternoon dive while it was overcast we saw 2 sharptail eels out feeding. And I do believe we saw the largest green moray we have ever witnessed. The normal quantity of fish were about and the visibility was up to normal Cozumel standards. Water temps. read 79 degrees all week. I survived with a rash guard and 3 mil shorty and Angie stayed with her full 3/2. It was a little chilly at times but not bad. Got to reviewing my log book earlier and noticed the 84 degrees water temp. last September. Met lots of new friends on the boat and dives as well as own shore. Hello to the June family. Hola to Roy, Glen, Peter and Julie and others whose name I can't recall right now. Hope everyone had a good flight home and hope to dive with you again. We logged dive number 136 on this trip.

The eats were great as usual. Visited many old favorites. Rendez Blue, El Pique, Rockin Java, Los Otates, Mezcalitos West, Mission on 30th and of course Coconuts. Tried out a few new (to us) places as well. Camillo's, Wet Wendys, Money Bar and a new place next door to Mezcalitos West that has great fish and shrimp tacos. Did not have a bad meal. Checked out the new Mega Store and was impressed as well.

Thanks to all the good people of the island of Cozumel for making our 8th trip a wonderful experience. And a special thanks to Scuba Mau(Mau, Opal and staff) for making our diving experience awesome. I plan to do my rescue diver course with them next time we are down. Hopefully soon. Hasta lavista gang.

Picasa Web Albums - randy - Cozumel April...

Last edited:
Trip Report 3/27/2009 - 4/5/2009
Another great week of Diving on Cozumel with our friends at Scuba Mau.

The plane rides. Departure from Atlanta was delayed a little due to weather but we made up a little time and got onto Cozumel about 1:30 local time. Flight home left right on time and got back into Atlanta 30 minutes early. The luggage was waiting on the carousel both before and after customs. Very easy return home. Nice job Delta.

Margaret of Isis Rentadora had someone waiting on us at the airport and took us to the office to get the paperwork out of the way for the VW bug. A couple of e-mails to her a week before departure and she had everything ready upon arrival. Then we headed on down to the dive shop, got the gear out and turned it over to Eishi and Dennis and did not have to think about it again till time to pack up for home. It was on the boat for us each day. Thanks guys!!
Then we strolled over to LaPalapita for a couple of cold adult beverages. Margarita for Angie and a Sol for me.

The diving and service was great with Opal, Mau and the rest of the gang at Scuba Mau. The weather/wind did dictate which sites we could get to on a couple of days but the guys (Gabi and Juan) made the best choices for the conditions each day. Some of the sites we enjoyed were Tormentos, Yucab, Santa Rosa, San Francisco, Palancar Gardens, Palancar Horseshoe, Palancar Bricks, Villa Blanca Wall, Paradise, Columbia Deep, Delila. We did a total of 18 dives including a night dive and a shore dive. Angie discovered a Seahorse on our shoredive and was just tickled. First time either of us have found one ourselves. We saw several eels, turtles, nurse sharks, couple of seahorses and durning one afternoon dive while it was overcast we saw 2 sharptail eels out feeding. And I do believe we saw the largest green moray we have ever witnessed. The normal quantity of fish were about and the visibility was up to normal Cozumel standards. Water temps. read 79 degrees all week. I survived with a rash guard and 3 mil shorty and Angie stayed with her full 3/2. It was a little chilly at times but not bad. Got to reviewing my log book earlier and noticed the 84 degrees water temp. last September. Met lots of new friends on the boat and dives as well as own shore. Hello to the June family. Hola to Roy, Glen, Peter and wife and others whose name I can't recall right now. Hope everyone had a good flight home and hope to dive with you again. We logged dive number 136 on this trip.

The eats were great as usual. Visited many old favorites. Rendez Blue, El Pique, Rockin Java, Los Otates, Mezcalitos West, Mission on 30th and of course Coconuts. Tried out a few new (to us) places as well. Camillo's, Wet Wendys, Money Bar and a new place next door to Mezcalitos West that has great fish and shrimp tacos. Did not have a bad meal. Checked out the new Mega Store and was impressed as well.

Thanks to all the good people of the island of Cozumel for making our 8th trip a wonderful experience. And a special thanks to Scuba Mau(Mau, Opal and staff) for making our diving experience awesome. I plan to do my rescue diver course with them next time we are down. Hopefully soon. Hasta lavista gang.

Picasa Web Albums - randy - Cozumel April...

Hey Randy! Nice report! Glad to see you had a good time. Where did you guys stay?

WE stayed in a house back in the hood. Worked out great.

Some great photos. Looks like conditions were pretty good most days. Thanks. Larry.

Thanks for the great report. I just got back from Coz as well and am going to try to force myself to write a report once I download my photos.

How come you got to see two seahorses and I didn't get to see any on my trip? You really shouldn't hog them.

Thanks for the great report. I just got back from Coz as well and am going to try to force myself to write a report once I download my photos.

How come you got to see two seahorses and I didn't get to see any on my trip? You really shouldn't hog them.

SSSHHHH, it's a secret. Actually Angie and I make a good team. She finds stuff and I shoot it. She has found more stonefish than I can remember. We had some good DM's as well.

Thnx for the report

And thank you!
--Spent most of the week with Randy and Angie, and had a great time as well. Ditto on everything they said, 'specially about scuba Mau.
Hope to run into you folks again sometime soon--at Mau, of course! :)

Randy,

Great Pic's and thanks so much for your review....I am so looking forward to diving in Cozumel with Mau and the group. Cant wait till the 24th of April...finding it so hard to focus on work!

What type of camera set up do you use?

Back
Top Bottom