Can't hear my tank banger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basically, I may not know who will be my insta-buddy and what style of diving he will have. I need a banger to prevent situation when I need help, and my new buddy is swimming away and staring at nature treasures...

2 RJP: well, I deploy it simply by pulling with the right hand, and then releasing. The bungee is very tight. The tank had massive plastic boot, maybe the boot dampens the sound?

Um, are you "banging" on the boot, or the tank?

I need a banger to prevent situation when I need help, and my new buddy is swimming away and staring at nature treasures...

It takes two inattentive buddies to have buddy separation.

I think I was banging on the tank, but it is down part of the tank, close to the boot. Physically, it is possible that the boot simply dampens the sound...

I don't use a tank banger, but I assume that they are for use on the metal of the tank, not the plastic boot.

I don't use a tank banger, but I assume that they are for use on the metal of the tank, not the plastic boot.
Sure, this is obvious. I simply mean that the place where banger hits the tank is not far from the boot, 2-4 in. If I lift it higher, it becomes more difficult to reach it.

Sure, this is obvious. I simply mean that the place where banger hits the tank is not far from the boot, 2-4 in. If I lift it higher, it becomes more difficult to reach it.

Is it one of those bungee things with the plastic ball? If so it was originally designed by PT Barnum. He did it to test his theory of a sucker being born every minute. Throw the damn thing away. Use the butt of a knife or even better keep your buddies where you don't need a toy like that to keep in contact. A better choice if you must have a noisemaker is get a piece of 3/4 inch pvc about 5 inches long. Put a couple ball bearings or marbles in it and cap both ends. COst will be around $1.

I have to respectfully disagree with our esteemed colleague here. As a physician, I have repaired gashes made by many an errant knife, especially ones used in a fashion for which they were not designed. Even a blunt-tipped dive knife has a sharp blade and if one is not particularly careful, especially when it is hurriedly employed to get attention when something exciting is happening, serious damage can ensue. Also, one needs to hold the knife by the handle not the bolster and blindly beat the butt/handle head against the tank while not stabbing your B.C. or wing. As such, I recommend knives be used for what they are intended, stabbing, cutting or sawing material etc.... not for signaling.

Finally, I do see an occasional need to be able to attract the attention of other divers, not necessarily one's dive buddy. What if you suddenly notice your dive buddy is incapacitated and is in need of help. Now suppose your buddy is a 280 lb. male loaded for bear with gear. You may need additional assistance if not simply because of your buddy's body size but perhaps he is partially stuck in a swim-thru with his octopus wrapped around a piece of coral. What if you are a petite female and your partner is a large male. Also, if you are the last diver in a line of divers and you see something all the other divers would wish to see, how else can you call attention so they don't miss something great?

Good and safe diving,
Garv

I have to agree that you should have some way to make noise in case you need to. I got separated from a buddy in rough seas with bad vis and banged on the tank the end of my metal flashlight. It didn't work due to the vis, I still had to abort and meet her on the boat, but she did hear me. I think metal to metal works best. I have seen DM use the metal end of the bc inflation hose on their tank and it worked well.

I have a big ass stainless carabiner clipped off to my gear, if I need a banger, I use that or my knife. The bungie/ball thing you are talking about suck.

Back
Top Bottom