Cape Ann next summer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dulinor

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i have family in the area and spent many summers in the area as a kid. I’ve often seen divers around Rockport, etc but was not diving when I was there.

We’re building a seasonal place which will be ready next spring. The whole family will be up for a few weeks every summer going forward. I’d love to get a taste of the local diving when in town. (My wife & oldest are also divers but I suspect will have no interest in the local conditions.)

When the time is closer I’ll look for recommendations on outfits / clubs / potential buddies but right now I’m curious about the conditions and what I can do to be as prepared as possible.

From reading here and having been to the beaches in NE I’d expect:

Cold
Entanglement dangers
Poor viz?
Potential depth or other challenges to take it out of rec territory?

For reference I’ve got.a good rec history but exclusively in bathwater like conditions. (Coldest probably Hawaii) I’m planning on a rescue course (PADI) in the fall.

So, to best prepare, should I take a dry suit course if I can find one in Atlanta? Get a BFK? (I have a tiny one I bought after certification which I haven’t gotten wet in years.)

You need to be more explicit - boat diving or shore diving? Either has it's own form of hazards.

Previous warm water experience is not relevant in my opinion to North East diving.

However a good navigational class or experience is crucial.
With dry suit or 7 mm wet suit diving you will be wearing heavier weight than you are used to - are you in shape? If not start by getting into shape (running, squats with weights...)

Find a local shop and start out with someone that knows the local spots. Folly Cove is a good start - but dont be fooled the slippery rocks in the shallow can humble the most seasoned diver...
That is for starters...

I visited a friend in Boston and we did 4 dives with Cape Ann Charters in early September. Low water temp was 47 at the Chester Poling, high was 53. The dives were a lot of fun, the lobster dinner was fantastic. I dived A full 7mm, hooded vest. If I lived here, it would certainly be a dry suit

Honestly could do either boat or shore - or both over time. More about getting the flavor of the area - if the word on the street says shore is the way to go, i’ll try that first. Generally I’ve seen shore when out there but of course, that’s what one would expect.

I’m not interested in grabbing lobster or anything (if that’s even legal in MA) more for experiences.

I could always be in better shape - but no issues with mobility or endurance generally. As a bonus I have ****** balance, which made dirtbiking somewhat sporting. Good motivator to find the time to keep in shape!

Was mostly worried the answer would be something like “oh everything interesting is 150’ down so you’d better be ready for deco”

If there’s a preferred operation I can coordinate with them. (I’ll be in Hamilton but anything out to Rockport isn’t too bad.)

Shore diving around there the problem is usually more about finding depth without taking a shovel.

The deepest shore dive in the area - Cathedral Rocks - goes to 80' the deepest. When shore diving, going into deco won't ever be an issue. That said, experience at 80', or even 60' in the Northeast is not even close to same depth in warm water. It will be cold, dark, and ... generally quite unwelcoming at first, but it'll grow on you :) Most people who I see shore diving there dive 7mm wetsuits, although I have seen a guy or two diving dry.

Great thing about Cape Ann is that it has great shore dive spots facing every direction, so depending on the wind one always can find a diveable spot. You'll have to tow a flag, so get ready for that. If not lobstering, there are no other regulations you should concern yourself with. Boat traffic in some areas can be quite active, something to keep in mind too.

The most active dive operation in the area (Cape Ann Divers) closed last winter. Their main boat "Cape Ann Diver II" is now under new ownership, you can book a spot on it using their website: owned/operated by Cape ann Charter and Harvest Inc I dove with them a couple of weeks ago, great guys. I personally haven't used any other operator in the area, although I heard good things about Cape Ann Charters.

Thanks. That’s super helpful. I saw a Cape Ann Divers thread which is what got me thinking.

Are the shore dives all independent? I’m treating this as if I’m a total novice (which is essentially accurate) so the more support the better. That might point towards a boat operation.

I know tons of people in the area but they all think local diving is daft. Even if they’re right, I’d like to see for myself.

Thanks. That’s super helpful. I saw a Cape Ann Divers thread which is what got me thinking.

Are the shore dives all independent? I’m treating this as if I’m a total novice (which is essentially accurate) so the more support the better. That might point towards a boat operation.

I know tons of people in the area but they all think local diving is daft. Even if they’re right, I’d like to see for myself.

I'm not sure what you mean by independent? They are all public land, so you don't have to pay to dive there, but some have easier parking and some more difficult. At some spots you can park for free very close to shore, some have paid parking, and at others you have to unload and then move your car half a mile or so. In general, the easier the parking, the busier the spot, and vice versa.

Yes, sorry, that was vague.

What I meant was just what you describe - open dive sites with public access. Long term that’s ideal but when starting out I’d want more support - either a formal dive shop operation or a club or the like.

I think that can work in Bonaire or something, where everything’s easy and you have a bunch of people with you. For this, I’d like there to be someone who’s at least worried about the paperwork if I don’t come back.

There are shops and clubs that run organized dives. Both boat and shore. I quit local diving long ago so not really on top of all that. I know mass diving has a good schedule of dives. They’re in Natick, hour or so from cape ann area, but do lots of their dives up there. Besides maybe finding people on here who know the area to dive with, thers also a New England Scuba Divers facebook group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom